𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞. - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐗𝐕𝐈

a/n - We're getting closer to the end of the story, thank you for sticking around this long but I am back and plan on finishing this story, thank you for all your support! - Two more chapters left!

"Do the two of you care to attend a Fatui ball?" Childe asks with an excited grin.

"Eh?" you respond to Childe's proposal, "how is that going to help us?".

"Because..." he smiles, dragging out the sentence.

"Spit it out," you frown, getting impatient.

"Alright," he chuckles after sparking a reaction from you, "I happen to know that many of the invitees would have some answers to your questions".

You feel a spark of hope in your chest but it gets quickly dampened as you continue thinking.

"And how would we even get these answers, and how would we not be recognized or at least found out to be frauds?"

"Don't worry about getting in, I can handle that part," Childe smirks.

"And how is the Fatui having an undetected ball when you are one of the biggest concerns in Liyue with all of your henchmen," you frown, it made no sense.

"Hmm, what do you mean, Fatui agents are always stationed in Liyue, why is that a concern?" Childe asks, although you knew he was lying he seemed genuine.

You turn to look at Xiao, unsure of what to make of the situation, something felt off but you couldn't quite put your finger on it.

"How about this, if you want to find information out about whatever you're looking for and help me with my plan meet back here tomorrow morning," Childe looked up at the clock above the entrance of the bank, "If not, then that's up to you," he shrugged and started to walk out.

"Alright," you respond quietly, deep in thought.

With that Childe was gone leaving you and Xiao alone in the bank with some impatient fatui members waiting outside.

"Let's go," Xiao says also beginning to walk out, he seemed irritated, maybe it was because you brought him here or could it be the fact that thought about teaming up with the Fatui.

"I'm sorry, Xiao" you apologise, looking down.

Xiao stops and turns his head to face you with an unreadable look on his face.

"Why are you apologising," he asked sternly, he seemed angry that you brought him here and angry that you said sorry.

"That I thought of coming here, I guess," you answer feeling a bit embarrassed.

Xiao only grunted in response, you couldn't blame him for being angry the more you thought about it, you were just so desperate at the moment to help him, and you still are.

"I will not form an alliance with a Fatui harbinger, I told you I don't want your help," he finished before walking out, you were stood in the same spot as the door shut behind him.

As you stood at the entrance of the Northland bank you kept thinking about Childe's offer, could you let an opportunity like this get away, if there was any smither of a chance to learn about what could help save Xiao you felt like you had to take that chance even with the risks. You couldn't help but feel a bit defeated, you felt like Xiao might have been opening up to you again but it seems like bringing him here may have unravelled that.

You finally exit the empty bank to see Xiao waiting outside in a silenced stand-off with the two Fatui guards.

"Finally," one of them huff, eye-ing you as they lock the door behind you.

It was dark outside by now, the once busy streets of Liyue harbour during the lantern rite just a few days ago were almost unrecognisable, only a few merchants roamed the streets pulling their carts or carrying unsold merchandise. After the two guards locked the door you and Xiao crossed the wooden bridge to the other side of the street to stand in a more covered area, out of view from the ground.

As the two of you stood in silence, you were still deep in thought, Xiao looked over at you appearing to read your mind, for once he decided to break the silence.

"Go to Wangshen funeral parlour and stay there until your boat for Inazuma leaves," he says facing away to look at the docks, "I doubt the Miileth will check there again so soon,".

"Huh, what are you talking about?" you call, his words breaking you from your trance.

"You can't stay here, I can't leave, there is no point in you putting yourself in danger and I won't let you," he said referencing your stubbornness.

"You have to be joking, Xiao," you let out an attempt of a laugh but it was mostly you just trying to process what he was saying, of course, he wasn't joking, he's Xiao.

"I should have never told you what I did yesterday, I don't even know why I did," his tone was cold and unlike how he usually spoke, he didn't even turn to face you, "I should have done this earlier, I regret not doing it the moment you mentioned the Fatui."

"Xiao I know, I am sorry, I shouldn't have brought us there," you felt like an idiot, why is this happening? "I meant it when I said I am not giving up on you," you try and explain.

"There's nothing to give up on when there was nothing in the first place,".

You fell silent and felt a lump grow in your throat, you bit your lip and looked down at your feet.

"Fine," you returned the cold tone, there was no point in arguing with him.

You watched Xiao back in the dim moonlight, his back rising and falling, there was a long silence between the two of you until Xiao turned back around to face you, grabbing your arm with his hand.

"I'll take you the-"

"No," you interrupted, "you'll wear yourself out, I can walk its close-by, I'll be fine," you pulled away from his grasp and started walking away.

Xiao didn't try to stop you nor did he say anything, he just stood and watch as you disappeared from his view. It was for the best he thought, you would no longer be in danger once you got on that boat, he wouldn't be burdening you anymore. How selfish of him to indulge in feelings he didn't know he had for you, he didn't deserve your kindness or your smile, he didn't deserve feelings he felt when around you.

a/n - sorry for the shortness of this chapter but I thought I would post it now and keep the last two chapter longer for the finale :)