Chapter 7

Seth POV:

The next few days, I have kept my guarded attention on my phone when possible, awaiting another call anytime from Dean. I don't know whether I'm expecting the call or apprehensive about it. Either way, it has affected my work and daily routine.

While preparing food at home, I was getting longer to cut vegetables than I commonly did so well. I almost burned the kitchen a couple of days ago, but I didn't care. Instead, I found myself often taking time to glance over at my phone.

At work, I was restless, unsure of what I wanted to do. I began getting flustered suddenly while handling the orders and ended up going back and forth awkwardly. That lasted for two days, and I was amazed neither day resulted in me being written up.

Now also, nothing seems perfect. I'm still in my dreamland and thinking about Dean, not realizing what history holds between us. Thanks to Mickie for diverting my mind a little away from my thoughts by bringing order.

I grab a fresh cup and pour some milk into it before looking for a cocoa mix. I blow out a frustrated breath and massage my temple with the tips of my fingers when I notice the bottle is empty.

I inform her and go back to the storeroom to find the stacks of cocoa powder. I waste no time climbing the shelf but end up toppling down onto the floor, coming off the bundles of boxes in the storeroom. Several boxes follow me down, and I have to cover up to avoid the full brunt of its impact.

"You okay, Seth?" She asks with concern written all over her face as she helps me back onto wobbly feet.

"Yeah," I mutter quickly, not quite looking my best friend and coworker in the eyes. I grit my teeth and hold my stomach when I feel hard to breathe suddenly. "I-I feel sick.."

"Go to the break room. I'll clock you out and handle this." She gestures to the mess of boxes on the floor.

Without arguing, I go to the break room to catch my breath and check myself over more thoroughly. The fall was a nasty one, but I managed to come out relatively unscathed. The pain in my stomach is relatively new, which I've never experienced before. Maybe it's all my lack of strength or accuracy.

"You need to get this guy out of your head." My conscience scolds and tries to help me with this. "He probably won't even call you back, anyway. You're one of his time passes. That's all."

As if on cue, my phone begins ringing and vibrating in my pocket, causing me to jump in my seat. I blame the tiny part of myself, which is still interested in Dean, for fishing my phone out. Without looking at the caller's identity, I swipe the screen and answer with a virtually eager tone, "Hello?"

"Hey kitten," He says in a gravelly voice that I will recognize anywhere now.

"Dean," I return, forcing a bit of coolness into my tone. Not like the guy needed to know that he had distracted me all week.

"You remember me!" Without seeing directly, I can visualize a smile on his face. A furious blush rise in my face, and I'm glad that Mickie or anyone else who might see my embarrassment is not around. "Why don't we hang out today?"

While a minor part of me enjoys having his voice in my ear, the other tense up a little. I like to see him farther away than holding near me. I don't know how to feel or what to say, so I hang up the phone and stow it safely back into my pocket.

I look over at the clock to check the time and get to my feet, leaving the break room. Without incident or distraction, I do my work accurately for an hour. As I feel like I have gotten back into my groove old again, Dean appears out of nowhere and takes me out of the diner.

Before I realize it, I'm in his car and stare blankly at him. His smartness has won my heart and left me wondering. "Where are we headed?" I blink my eyes softly and wonder, shifting awkwardly again, repeating those nervous antics from that day.

He chuckles lightly and tilts his head. "Just out for lunch."

I look down, gaming with my fingers and thinking about what Mark may do if he knows about this. I'm sure he will kick me out of the diner and make me suffer for my sins. My thoughts are interrupted when I hear Dean's voice in the air. "I thought you would ask about my absence last week. Anyway, I will tell you before you get into that topic. I went to Little Rock for SmackDown tappings."

I wave it off and mumble something, not caring that I share my personal with him. "M-Mark would throw me out of the diner for this... I don't know how to survive without a job."

He wraps his right arm around my shoulders and presses a kiss on my hair. "Don't worry. I have you." It seems unreal, so I shove him away and lean against the window until he grins over at me. "So, it was only recently that we met. Why don't you tell me about yourself, hm? What's your story? What's your label?"

I look over and feel myself glaring at him, which I know is probably a mistake, so I look away again, down at my fingers. "I don't know."

He pats my shoulder, almost encouraging eyes on the road. "Oh, come on. I'm sure something is interesting that you can tell me. I don't want a stranger kitten in my car. Let me get to know you."

"You were the one who invited me in." I glare at him this time and swat his hand away.

I lick my lips nervously, watching the tiny pastel-colored houses and the cars pass by. I'm anxious, not knowing what will happen. What if someone saw Dean dragging me to his car? What would they think about us?