Chapter 27

Seth POV:

Being hurt sucks! And when it's more emotional than physical, there are no words to describe the pain in the heart. It's overwhelming. The stress was overwhelming and kept me stuck to the awful incident that had happened moments ago. It shouldn't have happened; it shouldn't have happened while I was not interfering with anyone's business. My heart is whimpering and crying along with me.

I deserve this. I deserve all this a hell lot. If I didn't, God would never put me through this situation. I should have understood my place before asking what I desired, but I didn't. It's all my fault. An orphan like me shouldn't be greedy for a simple life, but I did. It's all because I'm all-around a simple guy who likes simple things and wants a simple life. So my life is quite simple now. Nothing is big to elaborate on.

Absentmindedly, I rub my knee a bare harshly and realize what I have done. "Fucking knee," I grumble, shifting my weight so that my right butt cheek won't feel so numb, but realize that I've somehow come within an inch of dropping off the couch. A poignant smile curls on my lips while another set of fresh tears well up in my eyes. Just like this, my life is also hanging within an inch of dropping off the thread.

My heart has shattered into a million pieces repeatedly at the thought until there is nothing left of it to beat in my chest. I'm just about to adjust my position when the sound of the doorbell makes me jump a couple of inches off the couch. Shivering slightly, I grip the couch and stare at the door in wonder who it might be. Is it my neighbor or Mickie? But as far as I know, both are at their work now. Then who will it be?

I find I can't process another thought as the doorbell keeps ringing, a continuous stream of noise that bores a hole into my skull. "I'm coming." I grouse and wipe the tears with the back of my hand before letting my feet plant on the floor. Wincing in pain, I walk over to the door and fling open it to find Dean leaning against the porch pillar.

"D-Dean!" I don't even realize that I'm choking back a lump in my throat until I feel the fresh tears stinging in my eyes. The wishes of my heart are restless to drown in his embrace now. Shaking slightly, I throw myself over him and hold him for dear life. I've shed a tear at the moment, though I wipe it off on the sleeve of my shirt before he can see.

"Kitten." A gentle arm wraps itself around my waist, carefully pulling me against the lunatic's toned chest. "It's okay. I'm here for you." He coos and presses a kiss on my hair. He might think it would comfort me, but it didn't because I was hurt emotionally. Featherlight fingers play with my curls soothingly as I force myself not to cry in front of him.

Silently, he shuts the door behind us to get privacy because he doesn't like people have interested in our love story. He pulls me away from him and reaches down to get a hold of my chin as I tilt my face up so he can look into my eyes. His gaze is curiously gluing to mine to know what's going on, but I'm sure the words spoken by my eyes are hard to understand. "I knew you wouldn't have called me if you hurt physically only. What happened?" He asks, squeezing my shoulders gently.

I'm left somewhat speechless by his tirade, this time more than taken aback by just how much he knows about me, how he's noticed things I haven't even told him, how he detects all of these little details in a couple of months. I'm shocked, but it is a different kind of shock. It isn't the scared, appalled kind of shock that I'm used to. It's the kind of shock that tugs on my heartstrings and makes my chest swell, the kind of shock that I don't know he can elicit out of me.

Dean POV:

A frown grows on my lips as I notice how bad Seth is shaking. The tension change for him, but seemingly, it isn't a change that I have sensed. I see the single crystal clear droplet of water slide down his cheek. Nothing but pain and sadness are evidenced in the sparkling brown orbs when they lock with my sparkling blue ones.

Pulling him into my arms, I soothe his back and guide him to the couch. Once we're settled, I watch him curiously and try to understand his mentality before grabbing his hands and bringing them to my lips to press my mouth against his skin. "Don't try to bullshit me. What hurts your heart?" I ask, hoping he will spill his heart out.

His head hangs low, so I can't see his face. He doesn't say anything for a few minutes. He doesn't pull his hands out of my grip, either. "The people, which I wished not to see in my life again, said awful things and poured spoiled drinks at me on the pavement." That's all I hear before a sob rips through the younger man. When he looks up into my eyes, I understand why he has his head down in the first place. Because it's like the dam has broken. Tears streak down his cheeks, taking all his self-control to keep himself together.

My head tilts like I'm trying to figure out a puzzle because I don't realize whom he's talking about. "Who were they?" I don't hesitate to pull him into my arms and stroke his back. At least now I can understand why he's upset. I would've been equally upset if I was in the same situation.

A small sob leaves his throat before he knows it. "My ex-fiancée and her husband!"

It puzzles me more because I don't know about his history yet. If he's willing to spill everything, I'll hear it. When he feels my eyes on him, he's sniffling and trying to clean his face, When he feels my eyes on him, he's sniffling and trying to clean his face, but tears are still running down his cheeks. For a little, he's just quiet. Just taking in my protective energy, he tries to calm down. Eventually, he manages to look me in the eye. "I know what's going on in your mind. Let me explain."

I nod and observe him, wanting to know the real reason behind those tears.

"I wished nothing but a simple life. And I thought my adopted parents would provide me with that. Instead, they made me run into thorn paths. Everything hurt me, but I adjusted to it since I was an orphan and begged love into my life. On the day of my marriage, something turned out, and before I even recognized it, everything had broken. Now, I'm unhappy, unlucky, and unprotected." His wet brown eyes meet my blue ones. There should be something more, but he's the sort of person who's gonna tell others what they want to know and not a sentence more.

"It all could have been avoided if my fate hadn't changed... but then, if it was good, I wouldn't have you." His voice break as his tears pick back up and run down his cheeks, making me feel slightly sympathetic. "Please... Can you protect me in your heart?"

"I will always. And I will never break my love relationship with you no matter what, even if I have to leave this world." I reassure and pull him into my arms, soothing his back gently. In doing so, I'm surprised by myself. Since when did I turn into a mother hen? Because that ain't me. That ain't me at all. I'm no saint. I'm selfish, conniving, insane, and...

We sit in silence for what feels like years. Seth has long since calmed down and has instead started to stare tiredly at the television while I watch some kind of football game. My arm never leaves his waist, and his head never leaves my chest. His eyelids stun like stone, too heavy to force them to stay open any longer before they slowly shut utterly, letting him slip into darkness.