Kam

"Wait, so - you like Keefe?" Linh asked, flopping down on Tam's bed. "Like . . . have a crush on him?"

Tam nodded miserably but didn't say a word.

Linh squealed as she scooted closer to wrap her arms around his shoulders. "I'm so happy for you," she started, but Tam interrupted her.

"No. We'll never be together," he told her. "There's just no way."

Linh tilted her head to give Tam an annoyed look. Before he could guess what she was doing, she had pulled her Imparter out and said, "Show me Keefe Sencen."

He swiped at the Imparter, but Linh held it just out of his reach. "Hi, Keefe," she sing-songed.

Keefe looked immensely confused, glancing at Tam with large, wide eyes, as if asking him, What is going on here? All Tam could do was shake his head in apology.

"Do you want to come over?" Linh was asking.

"Um . . . sure?" Keefe choked out; Tam squeezed his eyes shut, and he barely stopped himself from smacking his head at Linh's antics.

"Oh, Linh," Tam sighed.

Linh shrugged. "Keefe's going to be here any second, so I think you should just tell him," she said reprovingly.

Tam looked down his nose at her. But backed down. "Fine," he muttered.

Linh grinned. "There. It won't be that hard, okay?"

Linh flounced out as Keefe walked in. Upon seeing Tam's intense gaze, he dropped his own.

"Hey," Tam said quietly.

"Um -" Keefe said at the same time. He looked up and the two shared a laugh. "Look," Keefe said, shaking his head, "I came here to . . . whew. To tell you something."

Tam inwardly groaned, trying not to get his hopes up. Keefe looked so adorable sitting there, and that certainly wasn't helping Tam's self-control.

"When Linh invited me over," Keefe continued, "I figured it'd probably be a good opportunity to say this. You're going to hate me even more for this -"

Tam looked up to see tears glistening in Keefe's eyes, and almost couldn't stop himself from reaching up to gather a tear.

"I have a crush on you," Keefe blurted out. "I like boys. I know that people probably think it's weird here, but I can't hold it in even longer. I just couldn't not tell you."

Tam's jaw dropped open, but he simultaneously reached for Keefe's hand. "Me, too," he told Keefe. "I . . . really, really like you. And there's nothing I can do to stop it."

Keefe shifted a little closer to him. "So you mean that -"

"Yes," Tam whispered, pressing himself against Keefe. He put a hand to Keefe's cheek and pulled him closer.

And as far as first kisses went, there couldn't have been a happier couple.