Chapter 1

Seraphina scrolled through her phone with her legs tucked up, so her knees were near her chest and her feet rested on the edge of John's pink sofa. She faced towards the coffee table.

The door clicked open and her eyes snapped towards the front door, where a black haired man was opening the door.

"You're home early-" she started before she cut herself off.

"John?" The man's smile fell as he squinted his eyes towards her. "Wait, you're not John."

"Neither are you," she replied. Dumbfounded. This had to be a relative of John – he looked like him plus he was looking for John. She had no idea how he thought she was John.

The man scratched the back of his head in confusion.

"Oh, she stated in revelation. "You're John's dad! You two look so alike!"

"Ah," he exclaimed. A smile came back to his face. "Purple hair! You must be Seraphina!"

Seraphina stood up, resting her phone on the seat of the sofa, and walked over to his dad. She shook his hand.

"It's great to finally meet you!" he greeted.

"Likewise, Mister-"

"Please, call me William," he replied.

"John talks about you quite a bit," she responded.

"He does? Well, that's kind of embarrassing." He lightly laughed. Then he took in a breath and glanced around the room. "Where is he anyway?"

"Oh, school just let out, so he's probably on his way back now," she explained, looking up at Will.

"Huh?" Will looked at her in confusion. "How'd you get here so soon then?"

"I'm suspended."

"Suspende-!" Will yelled. "How did you pull that off? What kinda kids is my son hanging out with?"

"I got caught reading a certain," she explained calmly. "You probably know of it. It's called 'Unordinary'."

"Uh..." Will hesitated, caught off guard. "I-Is that so? My bad."

"It's okay though. My suspension ends this Friday at 4pm," she replied, waving her hand to wave it off. "I'll move back to dorms by then."

Will stared at her. The corners of his mouth were turned down.

"I didn't realise you two were so close. He wouldn't give that book away so easily, especially with it being banned and all..." He turned away from her to look at the side. "Sorry it got you in trouble."

"Nah, it's my fault I got caught."

"But to be honest, I'm surprised Wellston didn't end up kicking you out because of it," he stated. "At least, that's what I hear happen to kids who are discovered with it."

Seraphina smirked. "They would never get rid of me."

Will sighed. "I guess John really wasn't kidding when he said you were very powerful." Her eyes snapped up to him. "He doesn't give out compliments often." He smiled. "So, out of curiosity of the two of you, who is stronger?"

She brought her hand up to her mouth and laughed. "That's a good one."

"What do you mean?" Will asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Well, wouldn't it be obvious who was stronger?" she questioned. "It's kind of a big power gap."

"Wait, what's your level?" he asked, his eyebrows furrowed. What was he on about? Did John not tell him her level? She thought he would, especially with how much John apparently talked about her.