Chapter 23

As Seraphina walked away from Arlo, she spared one glance back.

His blue eyes stared at her – his face fallen – but then he looked away. Then he walked off in the other direction.

Did he say the wrong thing from what he meant to say?

That shouldn't matter if he meant to say it or not – he still said it. He meant what he said. He thinks how people are born affects whether they are right or not. Is that just a stupid reason he cooked up to justify not listening to John to her?

She sighed and speed up her pace. Just to escape him in case he changed his mind. She couldn't defend herself against him right now.

Still, John's a problem though. I've been giving him many hints that I know for two months now and he still hasn't told me anything. I should still talk to him.

After school that day, she met John at the edge of one of the building. He leant back against the brick wall, one foot pressed against it, and scrolled through his phone.

He didn't glance up as she approached, supposedly having not heard her. She smiled to herself and continued to walk up to him with light padded footsteps.

"Hey," she whispered as she stood next to him. She nuzzled into his neck and pressed a kiss to his soft skin.

"Hi." He brought his hand up to her head and ruffled her hair.

"We need to talk."

John nodded and took a gulp.

"Where do you want to go then?" he asked.

"To your room."

He nodded again, but more hesitantly this time.

She chose his room to make him feel more safe, but apparently, it made him more nervous.

"Why not go to Woaba Boba?" he suggested.

"No, I want to go to your room," she replied. "It's more private."

He nodded and gulped before pushing up off the wall and lead the way.

Once they entered his room, she took a seat on his bed and John sat next to her and pulled her into his lap, her back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her waist and nuzzled into his neck.

"Hey, what are you doing?" she asked.

John pulled back from her neck, his arms unclasped from her waist, but didn't respond.

She sighed. "We need to talk."

"You said that already," he responded. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I just wanted to see if you would tell me before right now."

"Okay," he admitted. He glanced to the side; a hot blush covering his cheeks. "I like you."

Oh...

"That wasn't what you meant." She avoided his eyes. Her face burned. "I know about your ability."

"That I don't have one?" he questioned.

"No, that you do have one," she replied. "I know that you were a level 7 two years ago."

"How would I be a level 7 two years ago if I don't have an ability?"

She raised an eyebrow. Seriously, was he in denial? Did he think that he could convince me that he didn't have one? At this point? When I was the one going to him about it?