Chapter 8

Seraphina walked amongst the crowd of students in the courtyard when her phone started buzzing. She reached into her pocket and put it on the phone call app.

Fyora had been calling her every half an hour.

Hm? She never tries to contact me, and during school hours nonetheless? So many missed already. Wonder what's wrong...

There were green calls beneath the missed red ones. The top was to Arlo.

An outgoing call to Arlo? On the same day as the incident? But John never mentioned anything about this. He had just told her that bogus story...

I knew he lied at the time. I guess the lie was that Arlo was already there when in fact he had to call Arlo there, but why didn't he just tell me that? What did they talk about?

Why would John go to Arlo after what he did? Does he have something on John?

Arlo values his times. He'd never spend half his day 'tagging along' with Elaine either unless he had something to gain from it.

She squeezed her phone tight in her hand.

I swear, Arlo. If you're holding something against John, I will come after you.

Seraphina yawned as she sat on her bed in her dormitory, hand over her mouth. She read a book in her hands.

Her phone beeped.

Oh right. I still haven't called her back yet.

The phone rang next to her ear.

"Miss Seraphina," Fyora stated. "It's about time you returned my call."

"Look, whatever it is, tell mom I said 'No'."

"Miss, that's not why I contacted you," she responded. "This morning, authorities stopped by to question your parents about your whereabouts. I called to warn you that they'll be heading to Wellston soon. They want to ask you personally about what you accomplished during your suspension as well as your currents thoughts on the book yourself."

Oh great. I have to pass another lie detector test.

Seraphina walked to her next class through the courtyard. She stared in front and brought the palms of her hands up to look at her, open empty.

It's already been four days since the attack. Doc said my ability should've returned by now, but I haven't even felt a hint of it. What's going on? What's happening to me?

Pain split open her forehead; the same power forced her to turn to one side.

A stone had hit her!

It clacked to the ground.

She held her hand to her head.

"What was that?"

"Did she just get hit?"

"How's that possible though? She's way too fast!"

Blood dripped down her forehead and fell down her chin.

Oh god.

"Wait a sec. Isn't that blood?!"

She pulled her hand away.

"Seraphina? Bleeding?"

Her fingers were stained red.

"Why isn't she healing herself?"

There was blood on her hands.

"Oh my gosh!" a girl called out behind her. She turned her head to see a lime green haired girl with twin buns on either side of her head running towards her. "I'm so sorry Seraphina! I didn't mean to hit you!" She came to a stop before her, bowing. "I was just practicing my aim and totally missed!"