Chapter 9

"What happened between you and Arlo while I was gone?" she asked.

She knew that Arlo did something – that he pressured Elaine to report her and that he got John targeted – but it's not like John had told her the specifics specifics.

"Arlo?" he questioned, bringing his hands up to his upper body. "Where did he come from? Who mentioned him to you?"

She stared at him. Was John deflecting or attempting to? "You did."

"What?"

"I knew something fishy was going on when he was at your place," she explained. She pulled her phone up to bring up her call history. "For some reason he was also in my call history. As far as I know, the two of you barely met before, so why did you dial him of all people?"

John remained silent.

"Don't hide it from me. What did he do to you? You can't tell me. I'll take care of it."

He clenched his fist by his side. "Uh, he – Arlo. He played me. Around the time you left, we started bumping into each other pretty often. He never gave me any trouble for it and he saved me from a bullying incident, so at the time, he didn't seem so bad, I thought he was different from other high-tiers, kinda like you, so I tried getting to know him."

"You... what?" she questioned. Did I seriously befriend an idiot? Maybe that was why he hid his ability – he had no brains.

"I know. I know!" John responded. He stared off to the side, refusing to look at her. "I was being optimistic! But I never expected that even after everything he would stab me in the back. He took me to a secluded site and two of his goons ambushed me! They beat me and told me to act my level.

"Then Arlo said to never mention that encounter to anyone, including you of course." She sated at him, eyebrows furrowed. Arlo would do that? Couldn't John fight back? Or could he genuinely not fight back? It could be that John didn't want anyone to find out.

"When I found you on the floor, I didn't know what to do. Elaine had already hung up on me and Arlo was the only one I knew who could get her to help."

Arlo. She squeezed her hands tight. How dare you?

"I should've known he would have come after you," she explained. "Ever since I quit Turf Wars and shed my Queen title, he's been trying to get me to come back – through lies and manipulation. These schemes – they're nothing new."

Arlo, just you wait. The moment I recover my ability I'll make you pay for what you did!

How could Arlo pick on someone he thought was a cripple? Did he know that John had an ability? Why would he pick on someone who couldn't fight back against you?

She laid her back on the bed.

Would Arlo ever stop?

She glanced over to where John sat. He leant against the headboard of the bed, the pillow supporting his back. His eyes laid closed.

He fell asleep just like that. He must've had a rough night.

The curtain screeched as it was drawn back by Doc.

"Hey, Seraphina," Doc started.

She turned on the edge of the bed. "Yes?"

She turned to face him. "I'd like t have a word with you in private. It's about your test results."

Afterwards, she was able to walk out of the infirmary without that bandage on her head and then a few hours past.

The corridors were empty, but Arlo was walking ahead of her. The situation was perfect to talk.