Chapter 20

Seraphina met John on the corner outside a building. His hand rested on his head, clutching it, and frowned deeply.

"Hey," she greeted, blazer slipped down one of her shoulders.

"Oh, hi Sera." He put on a weak smile.

She crossed her arms over her chest. "What's the matter? Got a headache or something?"

"Nah, I was just thinking about some stuff."

She stared at him with her light blue eyes and he looked back, taken aback, with bags beneath his eyes.

He walked forward – hands in pockets. "Alright, let's start heading back then!"

Why won't you tell me anything?

She caught up with him. "Hey, John." He turned to look at her. " I heard them call you to the office today. What was that all about?"

"Oh, yeah!" he replied, sweat dripping down his face. "It was just that Keon guy from the authorities. He came to question me about 'Unordinary'. Not a big deal though!" He gestured out with his hand, but it continued to shake. "I made it out in one piece."

"Really? No 'month-long' suspension or anything?"

"Nope." His hand had continued to shake. "Guess they didn't see me as a threat? Being a cripple has its perks after all!"

Except you're not a cripple...

She grabbed his wrist and he stared at her with narrow gold irises. "Your hand's been shaking this entire time. Are you sure you're okay?"

John froze before he ripped his arm out of her grasp and pulling it back to his body. "Let go."

What...?

He stared at her in shook. At his own actions?

"I'm still a bit nervous from the interrogation. I'm fine." He glanced down.

Nervous?! I've never seen him act like this before!

"I just need to walk around and cool off." He turned around and began to walk ahead.

She watched him walk off. "John! Since I've lost my ability, you've always had my back and it's helped me get through everything. But this goes both ways! I can tell that something's been bothering you! So please, let me know what's going on. I know I can't solve problems like I used to but you can still talk to me. I can still listen."

Why didn't he tell me anything after all this? First, he kept his ability and now... this. Something had happened in that questioning that he won't tell me.

"Aw come on, Sera!" John turned back to look at her. "You're overreacting! I told you I'm just a bit shaken up. I'll get over it."

She watched him walk off and she looked down to the pavement.

John, why don't you trust me?

Seraphina laid under the covers of her bed.

Why won't he tell me anything? Not even his ability? Or what was wrong today?

Sometimes this friendship felt so one-sided nowadays. I could confide in him, but he would never do that same with me. I don't understand what I ever did to make him not trust me. I did technically get 'unOrdinary' caught, but that was one time and wasn't a verbal let out.

Why would he continue to be friends with me if he didn't trust me? He has the perfect time to leave now with me weak, but he doesn't. Instead, he continues to support me.