Chapter 24

"What do you want?" Seraphina asked Remi as she stood in the doorway to John's bedroom. Her arms were crossed over her chest and part of her blazer slipped down her shoulder.

Why did she have to cut their conversation short like this? It was such an inconvenient time. Plus, she probably wanted to talk to John by herself.

"I'm here to talk," Remi replied. She held her hand up to her chest where she wore a light green t-shirt with white edges at the neck, shoulders and at the base. She also wore short light brown shorts. Remi stood on her tiptoes and peered over her shoulders. "With John."

Isen cowered against the wall.

"I'm not interested in talking," John called out from behind her. "Send her away."

Seraphina placed both her hands on the doorframe to block her.

"NO!" Remi shoved her hand away from the door frame, but she quickly repositioned it. "Not till you hear what I have to say!"

John walked up behind her and she let him pass by her. He shoved Remi away from the door as she took a seat on his bed and he began to close the door.

"I told you to leave!"

Blyke caught Remi as she fell before pushing the door back open.

"This door isn't closing till you hear her out," Blyke stated.

Sera sighed. This wasn't going to work any other way. "Just let her talk."

John glanced back to her before he stepped aside.

"Isen." Remi offered out her pink phone in her hand. "Here, take my phone."

Did she not have pockets?

"Erm, okay?" Remi handed her phone off to her partner.

She stepped into the room. "John let's be civil! I just want a private conversation between the two of us."

"Sera stays."

Remi nodded and the door closed behind her. John joined her on the edge of the bed.

"What?" John asked.

"I'd like to avoid a fight at all costs, so I'm here to see if we can find a middle ground," Remi answered. "What will make you stop all this?"

"This is how all high-tiers work? You only want to negotiate when you know you can't win? I'm no going to stop and I won't settle for a census. Get lost."

Sera smiled to herself. Damn, that was accurate.

"I know what you're trying to do!" Remi continued, "You want to throw the school into a state of panic and by hiding your identity while brutalising the top students. You want to embarrass us and make people lose faith in high-rankers. Why are you doing this? You must have a reason!"

He could go lighter on them. That's a compromise – which I would need to suggest because either of these two idiots are going to realise it themselves.

"It's about time people realise how useless you high rankers are. None of you deserve to be put on a pedestal. You're all arrogant and entitled and you abuse your power. Everyone's better off without you."

"What are you talking about? We've always tried to maintain a safe environment for everyone in the school!"

"What are you talking about?" Seraphina questioned, raising an eyebrow. "What's the 'we' in keeping the school safe? The only high-ranker that has possibly been trying to keep the school safe is you and I wouldn't even say you've tried. You've turned a blind eye to everything."