Chapter 26

"Thanks for letting me borrow your notes!" Evie held out Seraphina's notebook to her as they stood outside the school's library. Her blazer slipped down her shoulder. "They were really helpful."

"Yeah, no problem," Sera replied. She accepted the notebook back.

"You gotta teach me how you keep everything so organised-."

"Seraphina!" Holden shouted from behind her. She glanced behind her to see him coming to stop from a run, huffing out. "There you are! I've been looking all over for you..."

He was bent over, hands on his knees.

"Holden? Is this about yesterday?" she asked.

"No, I don't think so." He took a deep breath. "Quick, I need you to come over with me! Remi and Joker are fighting in the East courtyard right now!!"

"... So this is about yesterday?"

"Honestly, I don't know what yesterday or today is about. Arlo doesn't want me to know – although I guess it's about Joker now. But Arlo really wanted you to see it! I've never seen him so panicked before."

Why the fuck is Arlo still doing this?

"Seraphina, please," he begged. "It'll only take a bit of your time!"

Everyone talks about how violent Joker is, but I've never seen the fights. Shouldn't I see how violent the fights are myself?

"Fine then. Lead the way," she replied.

Then they walked along with Holden leading the way with Evie in tow – her face light pink.

"He already took down Blyke and Isen. Not sure how the situation is now."

Oh, so they went and teamed up on him after our conversation?

As they came up to the windows that circled the East courtyard, there was a notable gap left by one of the windows.

"Huh, where did Arlo go? He was here a minute ago!"

She walked up to the open window and looked down. Arlo and Rei stood on different sides of John, who was in the Joker mask, with John facing Remi whilst Arlo was to his side, both a number of metres away from him. Remi was encased in Arlo's yellow barrier, her blue lightning flashing around her, as John faced her with his own black lightning with a golden hue.

He used the posture he had taught her. He would use it now?

It was 2v1 against him. Would he be okay?

Wait! Did this start as a 4v1? Didn't they know what a fair fight was?

"KICK HIS ASS!" one of the students shouted out next to her. He held his hands and to boom his voice.

"GO REMI! ARLO SHOW JOKER WHO'S BOSS!"

I would have no problem taking them both on, but John is rusty with his ability after so long and he already has a broken arm.

The barrier was removed around Remi and she charged a lightning strike at John, who dodged to the side, but became trapped by the yellow barrier. The electricity charged around John in the barrier and he fell to his knees with a grunt.

Her heart raced.

Then John charged a white and black beam at his side. Arlo took down the barrier around him and the beam blasted out towards Remi, who ran backward pushed by the lightning out of the range, as John ran up the side, charging another smaller beam.

Finally, Remi stood to a stand and Arlo placed a barrier around her. The beam cracked through the barrier, but she dodged to the side of it and reached out to John's mask.