Chapter 16

John drank from his transparent water bottle as Seraphina was bent over (leaning on her knees), attempting to catch her breath.

She wore the pink sports bra and black sweatpants with a band of pink at the top – the outfit she had brought at the mall the other day. John's green tank top hung off him at the waist and hips, and also wore a pair of black shorts.

"You and your dad really do this twice a day?"

"Yup, morning and afternoon," he said. "Gotta keep that endurance up if you wanna survive." He held out his water bottle in front of her face. "Water? I told you to bring your own."

She eyed it before snatching it away from him. They sat down on a nearby bench and she drank some of the water.

What would his ability have been? Would he have to keep up his endurance the same way for that?

"It's like a game of Poker. You gotta bluff them out. Make it seem like you have a larger hand than you actually do. Since you used to be the strongest it shouldn't be too hard. I'd expect most lower-ranks to just get scared and run away."

"Hm. Really?"

"Careful though. If they do end up calling your bluff that's when you have to be ready. So make sure you choose your fights wisely, observe them first. As long as you can react faster than your opponent, you have a chance."

She stood over the mid-tier she had just knocked down.

Turning to the girl, she asked, "Hey, you okay?"

"Uhh... Yeah, I think so-," she started. Her lip wobbled. Suddenly, she pointed to behind her. "AH! WATCH OUT!"

She turned back for her wrist to be snatched by the mid-tier's burning hot hand. She grimaced in pain.

"Who said it was over?"

He pulled back his other hand that reached over to her head. She stared before pushing his arm away and blocking his other upper arm. Then she kicked him in the stomach. He stumbled back, clutching it.

"Ugh! What the hell?" He looked up to her. "Is that all you've got-?"

Seraphina smacked him in the face, knocking his face to the side.

"Haven't you embarrassed yourself enough?" she questioned.

"I – just you wait, Seraphina!" he shouted once he was stable on his feet. He turned around and ran away from her. "I'll make you pay for this!"

"Psh..." She watched him run from the corner of her eye. "Is this how they all act?"

"Uhhh..." She swiveled around to face the girl. "H-hello. Is your arm okay?"

"Oh, this?" She lifted her right arm up to her eyeline. "It's nothing. I've had way worse."

Plus, a healer would be offered this.

"Right! Of course!" she replied. "Uhh. W-well, thank you for saving me again!"

She bowed.

"Hm? Have we met before?" she said to herself. "IT's fine. No need to act so formal. We're the same now." She started to walk away. "Anyway, I still have things to do. Maybe I'll see you around."

She waved to her in goodbye.

"Aaah, ookay!"

At the end of the school day, Seraphina leant against one of the outside walls whilst waiting for John with her phone opened up to his texts.

She smiled at the texts.

Footsteps echoed cross the concrete. She glanced up to see the blonde mid-tier again with a few of his mid-tier friends.

"You again?" she asked.

A/N: This is short, but I didn't expect the kidnapping scene to come up so soon (not in the next chapter).