Chapter 19

Seraphina had fallen asleep in the infirmary bed as the healing potion took effect. When she woke up, John had his head laid against the side of the bed, but as far as she could see, no one else was left except perhaps Doc and Isen.

She threaded her fingers through his raven black hair and ruffled it up.

"Sera," he mumbled.

"Yeah." She stroked his head and patted down his hair.

"You're wake?" he asked. He pushed his head up slightly, so his gold eyes stared at her.

"Yes." She leant down and pressed a kiss to his forehead. Heat rushed to his face and he held her hand.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked. He leant against the back of her hand.

"Maybe." She leant back in the bed and sighed, staring up at the ceiling. "John, you know you can trust me."

"Yes." He raised his eyebrow. "Why do you need to remind me?"

She looked into his eyes. "I know you're keeping something from me."

"What? Why would you think that?" He smiled and sat up straighter on the chair by the bed. Poker face.

"I know you, John." This is about Joker, not his ability. I shouldn't tell him that his dad told me until he admits it himself. "I know you're lying to me."

John stared off towards the infirmary door and took in a deep breath at first. "Arlo refused to look for you at first. He didn't even tell me when he did start. I was looking for you with no help and I thought I was never going to find you, or at least, not in good time."

"WHAT??!!!"

That really wasn't what I meant. Although, it did make sense.

"Sorry." He scratched the back of his neck. "Was that not what you meant?"

His gold eyes wavered.

Now wasn't a good time.

"No, I didn't think that was the case," she replied. "I was first shocked, but it makes sense."

"Okay." John smiled to himself.

Oh, he's happy he got a way with lying. Why do I put up with this? He uses his ability to beat up others, but doesn't use it to protect me. I wouldn't have been abducted if he protected me beforehand, but he still didn't do it.

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Hey, are you okay?" He cupped his cheek.

"It's nothing." She brushed the tear off her cheek, but another fell down to take it's place.

"It's obviously not nothing." He wrapped his arms around her back. "You can talk to me."

"And you can talk to me," she replied, rolling her eyes.

John gave her a look, but didn't reply, just continued hugging her.

She couldn't even be bothered to confront Arlo about this – or at least not any time so. According to Elaine, he tried a lot. He probably just didn't tell John, or started later.

"Don't beat yourself up about it." John waved it off with his hand. "What they did was messed up and uncalled for. You had good intentions."

How can I trust you?

"Yea, but I put myself in that situation," she replied, eyes down. "How ignorant of me to think I could help someone else when I couldn't even help myself. If I had just kept walking, none of this would've happened."