Chapter 18

Seraphina sat up in the bed, now conscious. Her arm was wrapped in a cast whilst the rest of her was bandaged.

"I can't believe those guys did this to you!" Elaine stood by the infirmary bed, arms on her hips. "It's infuriating! How dare they kidnap the Ace and treat her like this?!"

"Elaine," Seraphina replied. Her eyes looked down with dark bags under her eyes. "I'm not the Ace anymore. It's just as they said. I'm powerless now. You're not obligated to treat me any particular way."

"Seraphina." She offered her hand out to her. "Please don't say stuff like that! We'll protect you until this blows over!"

"Even if it's forever?"

"Uh..."

"I don't want you to babysit me. Especially now since I no longer bring any value to society. There's really no point." She pulled her hands up to look at them. "I've been so niave. The amount of authority I possessed before my ability-loss – I took it all for granted. I've been ignoring the problems around me for the longest time. It was selfish. Maybe I deserve to live like this for the rest of my life. Karma, I guess."

"Hmph." Arlo turned his head away from them.

"Hey, you," Sera said. "You said it yourself. I'm a cripple now. I should know my place. Your words and actions don't line up. Why are you still helping me?"

"Who knows?"

"Arlo gathered a whole search party to find you! We were all worried sick!"

"You're powerless now! So nobody cares about you anymore."

"Is that so?"

The door banged open and John ran across the infirmary to the end sector.

"Sera!" he shouted. Then he froze, gold irises narrowed.

She glanced up to him before turning down.

"Sorry John. I let you down. I tried everything. I did everything you taught me back there, but nothing worked." She closed her eyes as tears welled up. "I don't know how I'll ever be as strong as you."

John realised forward to her and wrapped his arms around her with her head resting on his shoulder. Tears were welled up in her eyes.

"Don't think about that right now," he said. "Everything takes time. I'll be here."

Why can't you just use your ability to protect me? Do you even care?

A few minutes later, Remi burst through the door with Blyke walking behind her.

"Isen!" she shouted, running in to the room. "Isen, are you here?"

"THIS IS THE FUCKING INFIRMARY!" Doc slammed his hand onto the desk. "KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN!" He pointed with his thumb to one of the curtained off beds. "Your friend is in the back."

They waked over to one of the beds hidden by the blue curtain.

"There you are!" said Remi. She glanced to one side before she grabbed the blue curtain and drew it back. "Arlo? What are you doing here? Elaine? Seraphina too? What's going on?"

"You know what privacy is?" Arlo replied, arms crossed over his chest.

All eyes stared at the trio.

"I SWEAR I WAS NOT EAVESDROPPING!" Isen shouted. He waved his hands frantically as John glared at him. "I PLUGGED MY EARS THE WHOLE TIME!"

Why was Isen scared of John?

"Jeez." Blyke leant over Isen's shoulder. "You look like crap."

"SHUT UP!" responded Isen. "I tripped and fell down some stairs, okay?"

His ribs were wrapped in bandages with his shirt handing open at the buttons, and another bandage and cast mix over his jaw.

"Dude, who you trying to fool?" Blyke asked. "We already know someone kicked your ass."

Why did Isen feel the need to lie? Pride

"There are rumours circulating about you getting into a fight with a amsked student," Remi said, finger to the chin.

Oh, that guy again. Some of the rumours thought it was Arlo, but it couldn't be. He would just do it without a mask. Plus, supposedly wrong ability for him.

"Yeah, word is he had multiple abilities," Blyke said. Definitely not Arlo. He has used it against me before. "That's pretty strange. How were you beaten by someone we don't already know about?"

Isen avoided their eyes.

"Do you know why he attacked you?" Remi asked. "Because what he did to you is not okay! We can't let someone like this run around the school freely."

Isen let out a sigh. "UGH, will you guys cut it out?" He pulled the corners over himself and turned his back to them. "I just suffered a humiliating defeat and now you're embarrassing me in front of everyone. Let me recover before bombarding with questions!"

"He's got a point," Blyke stated.

Remi turned to look at Arlo. "Hey Arlo, are you hearing any of this?"

"Yeah. I'll look into it," he replied.

Turning back to Isen, she said, "Are you gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." He waved her off. "Just take notes for me."

"Sure, we'll some check on you again later!"

Then they left.

Isen knew who the masked man was and he was in this room.

A/N: I tagged this with Remi/Blyke/Isen (blemi, blysen and a one that doesn't show in tags for RemixIsen on wattpad) and I think this might be one of the only scenes that contains that ship. There might be a spin-off one-shot for them along this line with them, but I'm not certain.

I'm back at school, so chapters will take longer. This one took a few days even though it's a shorter length and it will probably be the same for the rest, especially with exams coming up (and I'm bad at actually setting down for revision).

Also, I just noticed that for dialogue tags I'm constantly using '(name of character) (verb for speech)' instead of switching them. I don't know when I fell into that pattern and I'm not sure I'm going to break it.

Thank you for reading. Please share your thoughts in the comments.