Chapter 2

Seraphina laid in John's bed after their game of poker.

Everything makes sense now. I've always wondered how John ahd such a strong attitude. Not only does he actually have an ability, but he's able to act confident like he did in the game of Poker. It's applicable to real life.

I shouldn't put so much on his ability. Apparently, he couldn't use it and I don't know what his ability is anyway. It could be completely mental, like future prediction.

That would certainly explain his confidence. Except, he couldn't use his ability.

She turned on her side, pulling the covers of the bed closer to her.

Something felt off though. Usually he's so expressive and easy to understand. Yet, for some reason, I couldn't see through him at all today. Instead, he was able to read me like a book. It's strange.

Seraphina and Will walked out of the sandwich shop – both with a sandwich in hand.

"Hm... It's not bad at all," Will stated after chewing over a bite.

"Told you." She smiled. "It's the best sandwich place around. There's another place called Woaba Boba. They sell some tasty drinks. I can take you there after."

She took a bite of the sandwich. The lettuce crunched under her teeth.

"Sure," Will replied. "Hey, thanks for showing me around town."

"It's fine. Not like I have anything better to do."

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask." She couldn't ask about John. Will had already told her that he didn't really know what happened. She'd just wait for John to tell her. "Your book... What was the inspiration behind it? It's different to anything else I've read."

"Ah, well there's a question I never thought I'd get!" He smiled brightly.

"Oh?"

"You see..." He turned to make eye contact wit her. "When you're bon completely powerless like me... Often times, the world feels unfair."

That was another fact about John hiding his ability. His dad was a cripple. John knew what being a cripple was like.

"When I was young, I'd get picked on a lot. Needless to say, it wasn't a good time. Bold then, I'd always think about that the world would be like if everyone were on equal footing. If everyone was powerless, what kind of structure would society follow? And then what if there existed someone all powerful who could see the strengths and weaknesses of everyone. If he wanted to minimsie suffering, how would he guide everyone. If I were in his shoes, I'd build a world that is open to everyone. Not one that favours the most powerful. That's all.

"Hah, now that I think about it, it's a bit childish that I based the protagonist on myself, but surprisingly, it resonated with a lot of people. I never expected it to blow up afters it's publication. With all these superheroes and all..."

"So, the books was all about you," she replied. "Then why did you dedicate it to John?"

Will did say that John was once a god tier. Maybe the main protagonist's ability was inspired by John's. Maybe John misplaced his trust in someone who took advantage of him; maybe that's why he hadn't trusted her enough to tell her about his ability even with a year's friendship.

"Ah." Will stopped walking to respond. "Well, John was a troubled kid back then. That's for sure."

"Really?"

So the traumatic incident happened before Unordinary was published. Which did make sense with the timeline from what John had already told her.

"Yeah, I guess to put it simply: he had a hard time dealing with certain realities. There wasn't much I could do to make him listen, so I hope I could get through to him this way."

John? Troubled? Hm...

Nothing made sense. It was like she was being told two stories, but yet they're the same.

"But I'm relieved now." Will smiled brightly and turned to her. Seraphina turned to him in shock. Wasn't John struggling to use his ability? Why would he be relieved about that?

"I wasn't too keen on letting him transfer so far away from home, but it seems like he's doing okay here. Even if he won't use his ability. Thanks for looking out for him, Sera."

She smiled. "No need to thank me." John was still a good friend even if he had lied to her. He hadn't lied to specifically her after all. "He takes care of himself just fine."

"Okay dad," John said as they stood outside his house in the evening. "You sure you have everything?"

"Yup." Will pulled his backpack on. "I packed lightly."

"Come on," John replied. "You flew all the way here to spend one night?"

"I'm working on a bunch of projects right now, so my editor won't let me leave for long," Will explained. "I just came to check up on you. Make sure you didn't do anything too crazy."

"...You still don't trust-" John started.

"Nope." Will through a finger gun to Sera that Sera responded with her own finger gun. "But I'm happy to know that I can always count on Sera!"

"B-but you've only known each other for a day..."

"I gotchu," she responded, smirking at John's shock. "It's been a pleasure, William. Your story is incredibly inspiring and I think you're very strong despite your situation. Please take care of yourself."

"Aww, you kids are too much." Will wrapped his arms around John and Sera's shoulders. She smiled whilst John stared in shock. "Come here and gimme a hug before I leave!"

"Dad, stop it!" John shouted as Will pulled them close to him.

Then Will pulled John to the side to talk to him. Sera didn't know what it was about, but she could guess. Maybe he was suggesting John to tell her about his ability. She hoped he was.

"Take care, kids!" will shouted. He waved them off and walked towards the yellow taxi. Seraphina waved back, although John didn't.

Once his dad was in the taxi and it had driven out of sight, she turned to John with a smile.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" she stated as they walked inside. John didn't answer.

A/N: shorter chapter, but it seemed right to end it here.

Next chapter should be that scene.