twenty seven

Chapter 27

Sage P.O.V.

The minutes seemed to drag on and the longer the two of us were sitting there, the more nervous we got. After the boys had left, we both sat down on the couch and didn't move. No words were exchanged because we knew the second one of us opened our mouths, we would be finding any excuse to walk out that door.

I glanced over to the clock and saw an hour had passed by. The lot wasn't far from the house and I kept my ear out for any gunshots, but up until this point I hadn't heard anything. But that didn't mean Mark wasn't deadly without a heater. There was zero doubt in my mind he was able to kill someone with his bare hands.

I jumped a little at the sound of Angela's voice. "They should be back by now." Rumbles didn't normally last too long. Normally the Soc's run away after a few of them have gotten beat badly, not wanting to mess up their perfect little faces.

I stood up and walked over to the window to see if the guys had started walking back. I was met with nothing but disappointment when the street was empty. Something in my guy had told me things had taken a turn for the worst. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to one of the boys.

"You should stay here, but I'm going to see what's taking them so long."

Angela stood up and shook her head, "You think you could walk out of here without me?" I knew I couldn't, but I had to at least make it sound like I didn't want her to come with me. I grabbed the heater off the table and stuck it in the waistband of my pants.

"Our brothers are going to kill us when they see us out of the house."

Angela gave me a smirk, "I'd like to see them try."

We made our way out of the house into the dark night. The streets were empty of cars and people, most likely due to the rumble going on. Everyone who was smart stays inside and continues on with their lives tomorrow. Neither of us had said a word on the way there, worried about what we were going to walk up to and the reactions of our brothers.

As we approached the lot, a few things caught my attention. There were no cars parked anywhere. The Soc's weren't at the lot which told me it ended a little while ago. The next thing was the lack of movement from the guys there. It looked as if everyone was frozen in place which is what got my heart pumping.

Angela whispered, "What the hell is going on?" We found a small hiding spot behind an old beat-up car that was missing two of its tires. I shook my head in response and tried to figure out why they were all acting like this.

The breath got caught in my throat as I saw my worst nightmare holding a heater up to the head of Ponyboy Curtis. "Oh fuck."

Angela's eyes got wide when she saw what was going on. I got up from my hiding place as Angela hissed at me to get down.

The sudden movement caught Mark's eye and he turned his head towards me. A slow, sadistic smile spread out over his face. "Well, if it isn't the broad of the hour?"

A few heads turned in the direction he was looking, and I caught a glimpse of my brother's face. I could tell he was trying to keep calm in order to not escalate the situation, but his eyes gave away so much more. The look of shear rage was something I had seen from him before, but not like this. This look could kill, and I didn't blame him.

"Let him go Mark. This isn't about him." Mark gave a chuckle and shook his head, "Isn't though? You run away from me back into the arms of every guy here. What makes him any less important to you than the others?"

I kept my mouth shut, not trying to anger him anymore. But he continued. "I could always shoot your brother." He pulled the gun away from Ponyboy and pointed it at Dallas. I was starting to lose control. He was cray enough to shoot everyone here and I knew that there was nothing I could do. He moved the gun from Dallas over to Sodapop. "Or pretty boy here. The one who you so easily replaced me with."

I held up my hands to get him to calm down. "No one could ever replace you. No matter how hard I tried to move on once you were in prison, I couldn't find anyone to love me like you could."

Something in his face changed when he took in those words. But then spat out, "You were the one who put me in there to rot! Don't you fucking lie to me!"

I shook my head, "Is that what they told you? Is that why you refused to have any visitors? I tried so damn hard to come and see you in there to make sure you were okay. But they told me you didn't want to see me anymore. I was heartbroken over you, Mark! Everything in the city reminded me of you and I had to get out. I knew the only place I would be safe until you got out was here. I knew you would find me, and we could go back to how things were."

Everything I was saying was one huge lie, but I prayed to whatever god I needed to that he would believe me. No one had said a word as they watched the interaction between us. My only goal was to get him away from everyone else. I didn't care what happened to me, as long as the boys were safe.

"You waited for me?" Confusion was written all over his face as I nodded my head. "If I was trying to run away from you, why the hell would I come to the one place you would look first? I need you, Mark. Why can't you see that?"

He lowered the gun pointed at Sodapop. I wanted to relax at that small movement, but I knew this was far from over. "Let him go and you and I can leave this town and start over. Just the two of us."

There was a long pause before he released Ponyboy and walked over to me. I honestly thought I got through to him, but the heater was now pointed at my head. I felt the cool tip of the barrel press against the middle of my forehead as he said.

"I told you what would happen if you slept with other guys. Instead, you went off and two timed me while I was in prison for something that was your fault. If you hadn't of flirted with him, I wouldn't have had to shoot him. I did this for you and running away was how you repay me? I knew you were a whore all along. If I can't have you, no one can."

I always knew I would die young. Winston's were not meant to live a long and happy life. It was just never in the cards for us. But dying in front of people I considered my family wasn't how I wanted to go. They didn't need to witness the light leaving my eyes or my body being thrown away like it was nothing. And because of that, I made a decision that will haunt me until death himself comes knocking on my door.

I pulled the gun out of the back of my pants and pulled the trigger at the man who made my life a living hell.

I watched the shock wash over his face at what I had just done. He had lowered the gun from my head and looked down at the shirt that was now being quickly covered in crimson. I was just as surprised with what I did as he was, which is why I didn't react quick enough to his gun being raised at me.

The next few seconds moved in slow motion. Multiple shots went off, people were yelling, and somehow I found myself on the ground. I knew people around me were moving, shouting at each other to do something.

But the only thing I could hear was the ringing in my ears.