sixteen

Chapter 16

Sage P.O.V.

It took a few hours, but I finally manage to calm down enough where Darry felt like he could let me go. I don't give Darry enough credit. He may be up tight with everyone, but he would drop everything going on in his life to help anyone in the gang. Especially an emotionally broken girl like me.

It was times like these that I wished I grew up with Darry as my brother, and not Dally. Dally is great for having my back and protecting me, but it kills him to show any shred of emotion. Tonight, proved that he would rather throw his family away just so he didn't have to worry about anyone but himself.

Darry's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Something has been going on with you and I want to help. But you are going to have to let me in."

I nodded my head because I did need to tell someone how I was feeling and what I've been through. It was almost like I wanted to prove I wasn't mentally crazy for the stunts I have pulled since I've been here. "The night Two-bit brought me here, Angela and I was raped." I looked down at the bed while I let him process that piece of information.

I knew if I looked at him and saw the pity on his face, I would shut down. It went against everything I was taught, to let people in like this. While he was silent, I went ahead and explained the whole story, since I knew the questions would soon follow. I told him about that night, why I had the panic attack in their front yard, how I didn't get out of bed for half a week, and everything Angela and I did and were planning to do. The words kept coming out and the more they did, the lighter my chest felt. Angela is the only other one who knows all of this information, but she was just as broken as I was. We were each other's tape. We could hold the broken pieces together, but it was bound to break eventually. By the time I was done explaining everything, Darry was tense. I wasn't sure if it was because of everything that has happened, or my plan to fix my life by making other's lives hell.

Since I had no words left for him, I looked up to see what his face could tell me. He was staring across the room with his eyebrows pulled together, lost in thought. I lightly placed my hand on his wrist to bring him back to the moment. He looked down at me and shook his head. "I don't know where to begin. No one should have to go through any of that. And your brother knows all of this, so why did he leave you tonight?"

I played with my hands and said, "I kept pushing his buttons. I knew if I acted a certain way, said certain things, he would snap. I can't explain why I wanted to start a fight with him again, but I knew what I was doing when it happened. I pushed him too far and he was done."

Darry rubbed the back of his neck while he thought of how to answer that. "I know your brother isn't the best person to talk to about all of these things, but I wish you would've come to one of us before it got this bad. You know any of us would have been there for you."

All I could do was nod my head at that. He was right. I had six guys out there that would've done anything they could've to help me stay out of this dark place I have found myself in. But instead I turned to my hopeless brother knowing I would be met with disappointment.

Darry told me he needed to tell the guys to let them know what was going on, because he knew if he left it to me it would never get told. "Get some rest and we will start new tomorrow." He got up from the bed and said he would be in later. "Holler if you need anything." I nodded my head and he kissed my cheek. "Dally may know show it, but he loves you more than you know. It'll work out." And with that he walked out of the room to leave me with my thoughts.

Did Dally actually love me? Maybe at one point when we were younger, but he left me with dad and to face everything horrible that came at me in New York. If my brother had been there, I might not have met Mark. I wouldn't have gone through all of the emotional and physical abuse from different people all those years. Maybe if my brother had been there I wouldn't be as broken as I am now. My thoughts slowly faded as I fell into a dreamless sleep.