forty

Ch 40

Sage P.O.V.

I knew the guys would be watching out for me after my conversation with Soda. They know I'm not one for owning up to my mistakes and apologizing. But at the end of the day, I have a plan and they need to stay out of it. Because of this, I stayed in mine and Dally's room for the night and pretended like I didn't have an agenda.

Dally came in late that night and asked if I was awake. "Yeah, Dal." I was laying facing the wall when I felt the bed sink down from him sitting on it.

"Look, you know I don't do all of that emotional shit, but the gang thinks something is going on. As much crap as I gave you when you first came back, I am happy you are here. You make my life a lot harder than it needs to be, but I don't want anything to happen to you." I tensed at those words.

I know Dally won't forgive me for what I'm going to do, but their lives will go back to how it was before I got here. "Don't worry. I'm listening to Tim and staying out of it."

I didn't think he believed the words that came out of my mouth, but he didn't say it. The bed moved more, and I knew he had laid down. Neither of us said anything the rest of the night.

I woke up early the next morning and quietly got out of bed. I knew if Dally woke up, he wouldn't let me leave his sight. After slipping on whatever clothes I could find first, I left him a note saying I went to Shepard's house. He could call Tim later if he didn't believe me.

With it being as early as it was, there wasn't many people out. It was almost nice being able to walk through the streets without the worry of getting jumped.

I made it to their house and tried to sneak through it. Tim and I still weren't in a good place and I wasn't in the mood to deal with Curly and all his questions. I walked past Tim's room and saw his door open. When I peeked my head in, I saw his bed was empty which meant he didn't come home last night. That made all of this ten times easier.

I walked into Angela's room and saw it was empty as well. I knew Tim didn't let her out of the house, so I was confused. I turned around and saw the bathroom light was on. Why the hell she was up this early I had no idea.

When she didn't answer after I knocked on the door, I pushed my ear up against it to see if maybe the shower was running. Again, I was met with silence. If her brothers were out last night, there was a good chance she drank in her room. Which meant she was most likely passed out next to the toilet. The door was locked but it was beat up enough that picking the lock wasn't all that hard.

When I opened the door, it took a minute for my mind to register what exactly was going on. Angela was in fact out cold next to the toilet, but the smell in the room was bad enough to make me gag. I had to cover my nose with the sleeve of my shirt just to be able to walk in there.

"What the hell did you even do last night?" I looked around to try and place the smell but stopped in my tracks when I saw what was on the counter. An empty bottle of pills was knocked over by the sink, which made me look at my friend.

She was laying on her side with her hair over her face. I bent down to move it and fell backwards when I saw her pale face and lifeless eyes staring back at me.

My body seemed to be frozen as it took everything in, but my mind was a chaotic mess. My best friend is dead on her bathroom floor, and I don't even know why. When my body caught up to my mind, they were on the same page with one thing.

Run.

Dally P.O.V.

I woke up to the kid gone but she was smart enough to leave a note. Knowing Shepard was going to keep an eye on his own sister, I didn't worry about Sage being there. The guy's last night talked about getting a plan together today to figure out how to handle the shit with the Soc's. I figured I would call Tim when I got to the Curtis house to let him know the plan and check in on the kids.

After I walked downstairs and woke up Two-bit's ass, I got him to drive us over there. The one thing I liked about Two-bit hungover is that he didn't try and crack his annoying jokes first thing in the morning. The only words that came out of his mouth were, "Where's Sage?"

The response was just as simple, "Shepard's."

We walked into the Curtis house with Steve and Soda playing cards and Darry in the kitchen making what smelled like breakfast. Two-bit turned-on Mickey and I sat on the couch trying not to fall back asleep.

Everyone seemed to be in their own world until the phone rang. My eyes were closed when I heard Darry say my name. "Dallas, it's Tim. Said he needed to talk to you."

A few things ran through my mind when he said that. The kids got into some shit, but it seemed too early for that. He needed help getting out of something. Or he was calling to let everyone know he had been locked up for a while. My mind didn't go anywhere near what he was calling about. "What do you want Shepard?"

"Angela is dead. Overdose."

"I'm sorry, what the fuck did you just say?" That got the attention of everyone else.

"Found her in the bathroom just now. Looks like pills." I could hear his voice crack a bit, but he would never admit it. Fuck, man. Why does it seem like we can never catch a break?

"Dallas, where's Sage?"

I froze, "Her note said she was going to your house."

My heart was racing as he yelled out her name. "She isn't here."

I ran a hand through my hair, "Fuck, Tim." Darry was hovering at this point, and I am sure it looked like I was about to lose my mind.

"Call me when you find her. I need to deal with this first." He hung up and I dropped the phone to run out the door.

"Dallas, wait!" Darry grabbed my wrist and asked what was going on. I saw all the guys looking at me with fear and worry at how I was acting.

"Angela overdosed and Sage is missing." Time seemed to slow down as everyone took in those words.

Darry had enough sense to bark out instructions. "The four of you need to split up and look. If she found Angela like that, you know she isn't going to be in the right state of mind. I am going to stay here in case she comes this way. Whatever you do, don't get on to her about anything. You know she will run."

Darry was right. If there was one thing my sister was good at was running. The four of us went in different directions, but the only thing on my mind was that I couldn't lose her.

I couldn't lose the best thing that's happened to me.