twelve

Chapter 12

Sage P.O.V.

All of the guys were at the house when we walked in. Dally told me to go sit on the couch while he went to grab a towel and some water. Darry, being the overprotective dad he was, rushed over to me and asked what happened. I shook my head and told him it was no big deal. I could hear Dally laughing from the kitchen and walked back in.

Darry took the towel and water from him so he could clean up my lip while Dal told the story. "I don't even know where to start. We were at Bucks having a good time, when Tim grabbed me and walked outside. Gave me some bullshit about needing to talk about the kids, which I of course believe with how stupid they both are."

I rolled my eyes and tuned out the rest of the story. It didn't take long for Darry to clean me up and he was back in his armchair, listening to Dal.

During the story, I could see Soda steal a few glances every now and then, probably realizing how crazy I really am. As hard as I try to not be like Dal, stories like this prove that I'm following in his footsteps.

Two-bit and Steve couldn't stop laughing when Dally finished the story. I looked over to Darry to see what his reaction was and saw a small smile playing at his lips. He wasn't a big advocate for fighting, but I think he knew why I did it.

Dally tries to play tough all the time, but a few of us see through it. No one can touch you if you don't let them. "If you all thought that was tough, you should've seen her punch Tim a few weeks ago." I turned my head to my brother so fast and he seemed to catch what he just said.

A few days after that party, Dally dragged me back to this house and told everyone that Angela and I were jumped and need to keep an eye on me. Something about us pissing them off and them looking for revenge. I don't remember exactly, but the guys bought it. Now all of them are looking at me, shocked, that I would punch Tim Shepard.

Two-bit asked what made me punch him. I shook my head at my big mouth brother and said, "Angela and I got into some shit and he was trying to get me to flip on her. The conversation took a turn and I hit him. No big deal."

I could see Dally shake his head out of the corner of my eye. He wanted me to tell the gang what happened but confessing that I couldn't save myself isn't what I wanted to do.

Soda tilted his head to the side and asked, "Is that way Tim had a broken nose?"

Dally nodded his head and Steve shook his, "You are lucky your last name is Winston or else you would be dead in a ditch somewhere."

I chuckled at that, "Tim doesn't scare me. He's as big as a softie as Dal is." Now that got them all laughing. No one, but maybe Johnny, has seen Dally's soft side and saying Tim was like that pushed them over the edge. I looked at Dal who shot me daggers. He had a reputation to uphold and her I was bringing it down a few pegs.

I got up and told them I was going for a smoke. Darry doesn't like it when we smoke inside, although Dally normally does it when he's at work. I stepped out into the cold, brisk air wishing I would've brought a jacket with me. I sat down on the steps and lit my cigarette, taking a few long drags.

I thought about this last month and everything that has happened. I escaped so much in New York just to be thrown into more violence. Maybe having my friends back in my life helps cancel out the bad, but damn has it sucked. I was wrapped up in my thoughts when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and silently cursed myself when I saw who it was. "Didn't mean to scare ya. Mind if I sit down?"

I nodded my head at Soda and scooted over so he could sit on the steps with me. "Penny for your thoughts?"

I smiled, "Just thinking about my time here." I took a few more drags of my cancer stick and then put it out with my foot.

He chuckled, "It's been an interesting month, that's for sure."

We sat in silence for a few minutes until I asked, "Why did you come out here?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I feel like you and I haven't been in a good spot and I wanted to try and fix it. I miss having my best friend around. I know Steve does too."

Ever since the night I blew up on him, I have been pretty distant from him, which also meant Steve since they were always attached at the hip. I don't think we will ever be where we were at before though. I've always had a crush on Soda, hell every girl this side of Oklahoma has a crush on him. But I always thought when the time was right, him and I would give it a go. I messed that up when I pushed him away the night I got raped and now he moved on.

I offered him a smile, "I just need some time, that's all. Adjusting here hasn't been easy and I think I need more time to figure things out."

He gave me a sad look but nodded his head. "Well, when you decide you're ready to let us back in your life, we will be there."

He put a hand on my back and rubbed it. Memories from that night came flooding back his hand felt like the one from that soc. My heartbeat quickened and I stood up to break the contact. I couldn't shake the feeling of his hands grabbing me, pushing me down, and forcing himself in me.

Soda walked closer and I snapped, "Don't touch me!" He stopped and looked confused.

My hands were shaking at this point and I felt myself starting to sweat even though it was a cool night. The door opened from the house and I saw Dally run towards me with the rest of the guys looking on from the porch. He put his hands on my shoulders and asked what was wrong. All I could do was shake my head. I felt the tears starting to form and threatened to fall if I opened my mouth.

Dally didn't know what to think and turned to Soda to ask what he did. Soda shook his head, "We were just talking and then she started freaking out. I didn't do anything, I swear."

And that was the scary part. All he did was touch my back and it was like I was reliving my nightmare. This whole time I was worried about turning into Johnny, but the scary thing is, I was worse than him. The damn soc was ruining my life and there was nothing I could do about it.

Dally turned back to me and wrapped me in his arms which only led to the tears being released. He squeezed hard and whispered in my ear, "Shh baby, it's okay. Calm down." I took a few deeps breaths and managed to calm myself down enough where he felt it was okay to let go.

He kept his hands on my shoulders when he asked if it had something to do with that night. I looked down and nodded my head. He cursed under his breath and told the guys we were going home. I stole a quick glance at all of them standing in the yard, looking at the scene unfolding in front of them. Looks of confusion, hurt, and worry were painted across their faces as we walked away from them.

I had this feeling that things were only going to get worse from here.

And I was right.