twenty three

Chapter 23

Sage P.O.V.

The second we stepped off the bus was when all of the emotions came flooding back. On the ride back I had been convincing myself that I was fine, and this was where I turned a new leaf. No more stupid decisions on my part and I was going to turn my life around.

One of the things I really had to come to terms with is getting the Winston chip off my shoulder. Walking away from a life full of attitude and trouble was going to be tough, but if I wanted to stay out of the cooler and make something of myself, I needed to make some major changes. I thought about distancing myself from those who brought out the worst in me. But that would mean losing my best friend and brother in the process.

Angela was like a drug that made you feel way too damn good while on it but manages to fuck up your life in the process. She made me feel invincible and like nothing in this god forsaken world could ever bring me down. But then again, we committed a double murder together, and ditched this town to not get caught. Don't get me wrong, having a mini vacation while hiding from the cops was thrilling and boy was that a story I would tell my kids later on. But the voices in my head only got louder as time moved on and the blood on my hands would never go away. So, like I said, she was a damn drug.

Dal was a different story though. He wasn't the brother I needed and always seemed to push me away when shit hits the fan. Darry has been there more for me than Dal, but something about my hot-headed brother always made me come running back to him no matter how much his words had cut through me. At the end of the day, trouble always seems to follow me, and I need to figure out how to escape it if I wanted to live past my 18th birthday.

Angela and I had started walking down the street, both of us caught up in our thoughts to say anything. It didn't take us long to reach her street and we saw Tim standing outside of their house yelling at Curly for god knows what. He did a double take when he saw us standing there and made his way towards us.

I saw Angela tense up and I knew she had been stressing over this mini reunion. I had no idea how it would be between my brother and I, so I couldn't judge her hesitancy at all. Tim looked both of us over, making sure we were in one piece, before he pulled Angela into a quick hug. She let out a small yelp, thinking she was going to be hit instead of arms wrapping around her.

I gave a small smile at the two of them, knowing Dally would do nothing like this. The rest of the guys would, but their actions didn't get to me like my brothers did. After all the years of abuse and abandonment by my own family, the only thing I wanted was a little bit of affection. It might seem childish to want such a tiny thing, but Winston's were known to be cold hearted and I was over keeping up that act.

Tim let go of his sister and looked at me, "You doin okay kid?" I nodded my head and shoved my hands in my pockets. He seemed to know I wasn't but didn't push me on the matter. Taking a step back, he pointed a finger at the two of us, "If the two of you ever pull a stunt like that again I will skin you myself. You got me?" He was trying to scold us, but his tone told me he was just happy we were back.

We both nodded our heads to him, and I started walking towards the Curtis house. "You want me to walk you back? The Soc have been all over this side of town ever since their friends died." I froze at Tim's words almost forgetting for a second that we were cold blooded killers. It was a short walk, and nothing was supposed to happen between here and there, but the way Tim had said what he did made me question walking another ten feet by myself. "I should be fine."

He shook his head and told Angela to go back to the house and came walking towards me. "Your brother would kill me if something happened to you the second you came back." I rolled my eyes at him and we headed to the Curtis house. Tim wasn't one for talking and honestly, I was fine with it right now.