twenty one

Chapter 21

Sage P.O.V.

It felt like a lifetime, but we were finally walking off the bus into the Texas sun. We decided Dallas, TX would be a good place to lay low, plus who doesn't want to stay in the city that your brother shares a name with?

It didn't take us long to find a cheap hotel and I gave the lady at the front counter enough cash to cover a week stay. We didn't know how long we needed to lay low for or how to even know when things had cleared up at home. Maybe I would give Dal a call later in the week to check in. I know him and Tim got pulled into the station for questioning based on how close of a relationship they seemed to have with the cops. Hopefully they can hold it together a little better than Angela and I are.

We had been sitting in the hotel room for an hour and I had almost smoked half a pack of cigarettes trying to calm my nerves. Angela was standing in front of the mirror and said, "We should change our hair."

I glanced over to her and asked why. "Well if the cops think it is us then they will have less of a chance in finding us if we don't match the description." It made sense but wouldn't changing our looks make us seem guilty?

"What happens if they still have no idea who did it and we get back to town lookin like two different people? Think that will raise any flags?" She thought it over some and eventually nodded her head. It had taken a while for me to grow out my blonde hair. I wasn't about to go chopping it off if I didn't have to. "If we catch wind that they have our names, then we will do something. But I don't want to make rash decisions and increase our chances of getting caught."

I had counted our cash and saw we had a little over a hundred dollars left that Tim had given us. If we were smart, we could make it last us a few weeks between food and a new hotel if we needed to stay longer than this week.

Angela's voice pulled my attention back to her. "We need to treat this as a vacation. When is the next time we are gonna be out of Tulsa? Until our pictures hit the paper, you and I are going to have fun."

I mentally rolled my eyes at her. We just stabbed two people to death, and she wants us to have a fun girl's trip like nothing happened. There are times where I see Angela as a well put together person who was simply dealt a losing hand in life. This is not one of those times. The girl looking back at me has zero feelings of guilt and is acting like we didn't just screw up our lives. I thought I was losing my mind the other night, but I am more concerned about her now. She is acting like a wildcard and I'm not sure how to play my hand if it goes the wrong way.

I let out a sigh and asked, "What do you have in mind?"

She gave me a sly grin. "I wanted to find me a cowboy and I think that's what we should do. I saw a flyer at the front desk about a rodeo in town. What do you say, Sage? Ready to show these boys how a girl from Tulsa does things?" I smirked and nodded my head. She might be crazy sometimes, but I think crazy is what I need.

It didn't take us long to find this rodeo. I think I smelt the animals before I even saw one. Angela was practically bouncing with joy as we watched cowboy after cowboy walk by us. Dally used to ride horses for Buck is what I was told, but I never had a strong love for these smelly animals. I couldn't help but feel a pull on my heart when I thought how much Ponyboy and Johnny would love it here. I shook the thoughts of them out of my head as I was half listening to Angela ramble on about how good these jeans looked on these guys.

It didn't take long for her to have her arms wrapped around this poor guy who had zero idea how much my friend liked to play with boys' hearts. It was almost like a game to her to see how close she could get them before she ripped their hearts out. I chuckled at the smile he gave her knowing it wouldn't last long.