eleven

Sage P.O.V.

A few weeks had passed, and Dally was constantly on top of me. If I wasn't with him, someone in the gang was by my side. I felt like a dog on a leash that was pulled back anytime they went too far.

Today was one of those days where every single thing pissed me off. It started with Dally dragging me out of Bucks to the Curtis house because he had "things" to do. I'm pretty sure those things included that dumb broad Sylvia who I couldn't stand. 

Once Dally dropped me off at my babysitters, Soda kept rambling on about his new girl Sandy and how freaking fantastic she was. This was my own fault for pushing him away when he wanted to help, but I thought he would've waited more than a few weeks before getting all wrapped up in a girl. Maybe he really only saw me as a friend, and I was the one who wanted more. This is another reason why us Winston's don't do love. It's easier that way.

From there the day seemed to only get worse. Two-bit was so hungover that he slept on the floor all day. Darry and Ponyboy kept arguing back and forth which led to Pony slamming his bedroom door. Steve, well Steve was always getting under my skin. I loved that kid, but man did he have a way of annoying the heck outta ya. Then there was Johnny. This boy could do no wrong and I loved him to death, but with him jumping at every little sound that came out of this house is what rubbed me the wrong way. I knew he couldn't help it and I knew it was those damn Soc's that made him that way. My anger was more at them than anything.

The hours drug on with no end in sight. I snapped at Steve for getting cake all over me when he jumped up to yell at Soda for cheating at cards. He rolled his eyes and continued to fling his shit everywhere.

I ended up having to get up and walk outside to smoke a few cancer sticks. Dally came sulking to the yard, looking madder than a bull. "What's your problem?" He glared down at me and snapped, "That dumb broad was two timing me again. I swear she only does it to piss me off." Sure enough, I saw his Christopher back in his possession and knew he had broken things off with her. Let's hope it lasts.

He sat down on the steps and took a drag from my cigarette. "Let's go get drunk."

I smiled as he said that. "I have never heard a better idea."

He chuckled and stood up. "I'll go tell the guys we are leaving."

As he went to tell me babysitters that they were relieved from their duty, I started walking down the street. Before too long, Dally jogged up beside me. "Someone is in a rush."

I shrugged my shoulders, "One of those days I guess." He seemed to understand, and we walked the rest of the way to Buck's in a comfortable silence.

Just like any other night, a party was in full swing. Opening the door, you were hit with a smell of beer and smoke that was bound to be stuck in your hairs for days. We wiggled our way through the crowd of mostly greasers and made it to the bar.

Buck handed us both a beer and shook his head. "I don't like the idea of both Winston's getting drunk under the same roof."

I smirked and Dally laughed, "She won't do much damage." They fell into a conversation as I scanned the bar. It was only about ten o'clock and nearly everyone in the bar was drunk or high. A decent amount was dancing to some Hank Williams Jr. while other played pool in the corner.

My eyes stopped when I saw Sylvia sitting on guys lap, lips on his, acting like she didn't just break Dally's heart a few hours ago. That seemed to be the last straw for me on this god-awful day. I had to think this through though. I knew Dally would stop me before I close enough to do anything and the guys around her might get in the way.