twenty

Chapter 20

Dally P.O.V.

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and a bruised rib. Sitting up slowly, I was trying to remember why the hell I felt this way to begin with. I looked down at my hand and saw it cut up, most likely from someone's face and then it all hit me.

My dumbass sister and her stupid ass friend got into some shit last night and thought they could handle it. Images of her bloody shirt and the frantic look in her eyes told me that she did something that would make me cringe. But her being her stubborn self, she didn't want my help. I didn't exactly fight her on it but honestly, I was scared to know what they had done.

Tim had found me later that night and told me he gave them some cash and my heater to keep them out of trouble. He didn't know what they did either, but we had a pretty damn good guess at what it was.

Soda asked about Sage a little into the night and Steve told him that she needed to lay low for a while. Having heard Steve know more than I did about my sister rubbed me the wrong way. That's when I picked a fight with someone from Tim's outfit and drank myself to sleep.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. What the hell did my kid sister get into and why can't I keep my cool around her for more than five minutes? I got out of bed and decided to head to the Curtis house for reason's I didn't know. Maybe I could get more information out of Steve and figure out where the kid went.

The walk there had me thinking about how much Sage had changed since the last time I saw her. Back in New York, she was full of life and always had me on my toes. I swear she reminded me of Two-bit more and more as she got older. Leaving her was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Coming back to Tulsa knowing I had nothing to my name was the main reason why I wanted her to stay behind. I couldn't support her or give her the life she deserved. Our deadbeat father couldn't do much either, but she had friends and a life full of possibilities in the big city and taking that away from her didn't seem right. I knew she would hate me, but I really thought it was the best thing for her.

Looking back on how she has been here, she is more like me now than Two-bit. The hardened look in her eyes, her need to push people away, and that temper. Man, that temper has Winston written all over it. New York is the reason why I am the way I am and clearly it rubbed off on Sage as well.

But I what exactly happened to make her live up to our reputation? I know dad beat her like he did me, but that wouldn't make her shut out the people she cared about the most. I thought for sure her and Soda would get together with how close they were growing up, but she even pushed him away. When I get her back, I'm going to find out the real reason why she came here. Because I know it sure isn't because of our dad.

I walked into the Curtis house and sat on the couch next to Johnny. He seemed jumpier than normal and I asked him what was up. "Did you hear the soc's have declared a war on greasers?" I shook my head confused.

Darry cut in, "Two soc kids were stabbed last night on greaser territory. They have no idea who did it, but it doesn't look good."

Stabbed? My blood ran cold as it all clicked. Sage and Angela killed those boys and we let them figure it out themselves. Shit. I saw Steve walk in, and I stormed over and drug him outside by his collar. He didn't seem too surprised at my actions but everyone else inside did. Once the door slammed shut, I let him go.

"What did Sage tell you last night?" He looked at me confused, "Said she needed to lay low for a while and already talked to you about it. Begged me not to tell anyone. Why?"