forty two

Ch 42

Sage P.O.V

Dear Sage,

Lord, you must hate me right now, but I did what I did for a reason. Try not to hate me too much as you're reading this. You and I have been through hell and back this last year. If someone would have told me the shit we got into, I would've laughed in their face, but I couldn't have asked for a better friend to experience it all with. First off, when you came back to our shitty side of town, something in me changed. I started feeling like I was living again. Tim, being the all knowing asshole he is, knew you and I were in for some trouble. He told me to try to keep my head on straight for once. Guess I didn't listen too well. Even though we had some really low times this last year, I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

Now, time to explain myself. While you were my partner in crime, I started a lot of this mess. That night at the party, the night that started this all, it was me who found that ex. I was the one who wanted to get fucked up and you were just trying to stick by me. But then that night in the alley, you wanted to go. You knew nothing good was going to happen, but again you stuck by me. You kept a level head, got us the hell out of there, and even managed to get us by our brothers. You could have walked away at any time, left me to figure out my shit, but you're loyal as a damn dog. No one could ever ask for a better friend. A few nights ago, when we were at the park, I saw that look in your eye. I knew you were going to stick by me one last time and I couldn't let you do that. I wanted to be the better friend for once. I wanted to give you your life back that I stole from you.

This leads me to the last part. You, Sage Winston, are going to do something big in this life. You and Dally have this mindset that you aren't going to live past 18, but that's bullshit. You are smart, confident, and one hell of a drag racer. Get your shit together and do something that matters. Do me one last favor. Try your damn hardest to get Sodapop back. That boy is one of the best things that's ever happened to you. The Sage I know wouldn't roll over for some middle class tramp.

This is the end for me. I only hope that one day you can forgive me for everything I have done. Stay close with Tim. He may not say it, but you mean a lot to him. Just try not to run him crazy like I did. Thank you for being the best friend I never deserved. Of all the people, you are who I'm going to miss the most.

Love your badass other half,

Angela

I was sitting outside of the Curtis house as I read the letter Tim dropped off. It had been a few days since the incident and the first time I saw him. While he looked like his normal, cold self, I saw the bags under his eyes and knew this was eating at him more than he let on. Dally has been trying to keep a close eye on him, but he couldn't stay glued to his side 24/7.

Darry has made me stay at their house, probably afraid that if he lets me off on my own, I'll do something stupid. But after what Tim told me that day, I wouldn't ever bring myself to follow in her footsteps. His words had been rattling around in my head since. "I can't lose another one of you. Please don't make me live through this again."

Money was tight all around, so the decision to not have a funeral was an easy one. Not like I could've buried my best friend in the ground anyway. I haven't cried since that afternoon with the gang. Soda says I'm still processing it and that it will hit me hard one day soon. I guess he would know best.

He hasn't been too far from me either. Him and Steve have been taking turns watching me. They think I don't notice, but it's hard not to when I always seem to have a shadow. Not that I can really blame them though. I've done some questionable things this last year and hurt a lot of people along the way. But for some reason the gang has stuck around.