eight

Soda P.O.V.

I looked back to the group and they all seemed as confused as I was. Darry turned to Two-bit and asked what happened. 

Two-bit shrugged his shoulders. "She called from a payphone and needed a ride. I tried to joke around with them to lighten the mood, but neither of them budged. Angela looked just as bad as Sage. She did say that Tim and Dal would murder someone if they found out what happened."

Different things ran through my mind. Sage is warm, outgoing, and knows how to have a good time. Hell, I would think she would be related to Two-bit before Dally, but the look in her eyes when she left mirrored nothing but her brother.

 I heard the rest of them trying to figure it out, but I knew the only way we would get to the bottom of this was to get it out of Sage. I ran out the door before Darry could throw a fit with how late it is.

Sage P.O.V.

I heard footsteps behind me, and Soda grabbed my wrist for me to stop. "What is going on? Why are you being like this?" 

I tried to shrug him off, but his grip never let up. "I don't need anyone looking out for me. I am fine on my own." He shook his head, "You aren't like Dallas, so please stop putting up this front. Something happened for you to be feelin' this way, and it's okay to ask for help." 

I could feel the snap coming. "That's my point! I don't need your help or anyone else's for that matter!" 

He fixed me with a serious look. One that doesn't come around often. "I don't believe that for a second. You may think that because you and Dally share a last name that you have to be the same person. And I know I may not be the smartest person out there, but I'm not dumb. You think if you put up this front then you will be fine. But the truth is, you are gonna go down a dark path like Dally and end up on the wrong side of life. And I can't stand by and let that happen." 

I could feel the tears starting to form and didn't know if they were from anger or the fact that Soda might be right. I knew Dally shut people out, hell he has practically cut me out of his life. But I bet he doesn't find himself feelin' like I do. 

I shook my head, "It's not that simple." Soda grabbed my shoulders and squeezed, "It is that simple. Let us in! We are your family and all we want to do is help." 

My thoughts ran back to what "family" meant to me. Dally was family and he left me to suffer on my own. My dad was family and I think I saw more action than a punching bag did. Family to me meant nothing. But there was this small part of me that wanted to run into Soda's arms and tell the gang everything that happened tonight. 

I shook my head, mostly to get those thoughts out. "Right now, I can't be the damsel in distress. Right now, I need to hold my head high and try to forget about this night. That is the only way I am going to get through this, but I can't do that with all of you fussing over me." I took a deep breath, "I need to go to Buck's and lay low for a while. It ain't you, I promise." 

I looked up to see hurt flash over his face. He let go of my arms and nodded his head, "We are always here for you. Please don't forget that." I gave him half a smile and turned to walk away. 

I knew Soda meant well and the rest of the guys back there. But back in New York I had to fend for myself and I think those instincts are taking over. The only person I fully relied on was Dally and we all saw how that ended up. I started walking down the road to Buck's, not worrying about getting jumped since all the soc's were at that god-awful party. 

My thoughts kept wondering back to my days in the city and all the shit I went through there. After Dal left, I found myself sleeping in the streets just to stay away from dad. That's where I met my worst nightmare. I think that is where most of my anger towards Dally comes from. If he hadn't left, then I wouldn't have met Mark and my life wouldn't have slowly gone down the drain. 

I looked up to see a party going in full swing and I sighed hoping Dally wouldn't cause a huge scene. The only thing I wanted was to be alone and move past this night. I walked in and kept my head down as I walked up the stairs to Dally's room. I said a quick prayer that he wasn't in there with some broad because I had no idea what I would do next. 

I opened the door and sighed with relief that the room was empty. I took off my shoes and jacket and went to the sink to run some water over my face. My side was hurting more now that all the adrenaline was gone, and the mirror showed my face starting to swell. My hands were shaking as the events from tonight were catching up to me. 

I was raped and it was my own fault. As much as I wanted to blame my brother for pushing me into wanting to defy him, I couldn't. 

Tears started running down my face as the "get tough" act started slipping away. The bedroom door opened, and I jumped at the sound of music flooding through the room. Through the mirror I saw Dally close the door and ask what I was doing here. 

I wiped my tears and took a deep breath, "I just needed a place to sleep where I wouldn't be bothered. I'll be out in the morning." I heard his footsteps walking towards me and he told me to turn around. 

After a moment of hesitation, I did what he said. I kept my gaze on the floor and flinched when he touched my eye. "Jesus, kid. What happened?" I shook my head, "Just a stupid fight. No big deal." My voice was shaking as I fought to hold back tears. 

He was silent for a minute, probably trying to figure out what to do. Dally was never good with emotions and I wasn't expecting much from him now. I really just wanted to go to sleep. "Who did it?" I shrugged my shoulders hoping he would accept that answer. 

I heard him sigh and walk towards his dresser. He pulled out a shirt and some sweatpants for me to change into. "Your clothes have blood all over them. Here." He handed me the clothes and said he would be back in a few minutes. Once he was out the door, I changed into the borrowed clothes and then laid on the bed. 

I tried to close my eyes, but the second I did all I could see was what that soc did to me. I could feel his hands run up and down my chest, over my thighs, and in places he should never have been near. It was like I was reliving everything that happened, and I was just as helpless as the first time. 

I was so lost in thought that I didn't hear Dally come back in. His hand touched my shoulder and I flinched harder than I was proud of. "Why are you crying? What happened?" I didn't realize the tears had come back. 

I shook my head, "Nothing." I knew he was getting impatient with me. He was never one to beat around the bush. "Your face is bruised and cut, you are flinching at the slightest touch, and I can't tell you the last time I saw you cry. Something happened for you to be acting this way." 

He was right about the crying. After getting beat so many times by dad, I simply stopped crying. Tears were a sigh of weakness and you only ever cried if something really bad happened. I tried to tell myself that this wasn't bad, that we have been through worse. But for some reason I couldn't except that lie. 

The words seemed to come out of my mouth with no warning, "I did something really bad."