Prom

Jack didn't show up at Ennis' place, which greatly disappointed Ennis, but neither of them called the other. The rest of the day went by just like any other day. Jack showed up at school the next morning to some bad news.

Rumors were going around. Turns out, someone from the school had seen Jack and Randy talking. Someone else saw them go into the bathroom with the door locked. Jack couldn't remember seeing anyone he knew, though he hadn't really been paying attention to his surroundings. All he had been worried about was looking for Ennis, not any other familiar face. And with this popping up, Jack didn't want to face Ennis.

And he got by most of the day without doing so. He knew he should man up and face Ennis, but guilt had overcome him. He had betrayed Ennis. And all because he had been upset! Why had he been so stupid?! He ignored the fact that Randy had made him feel better. That was definitely something Ennis wouldn't want to hear.

Jack hid in the library at lunch only because he knew Ennis would be there. He knew Ennis wouldn't make a scene there, but he would definitely mention something. And it wouldn't be about the fact that Jack had stood him up last night. After what Jack did, how could he EVER face Ennis again?

"Jack."

Jack didn't look up from the book he was pretending to read when he heard that voice. He heard the chair creak as Ennis sat down across the table from him. Jack cursed himself for coming here. It was the time of day where the library was COMPLETELY empty. The librarian was even out for lunch until one o'clock. Which meant Ennis had about forty-five minutes to yell and fuss at Jack. And this could only end badly. END being the important thing.

And the worst thing that could pop into Jack's mind.

"Don't hate me," Jack said, looking at Ennis. He closed the book and set it aside. "I didn't come over last night--"

"You were with another guy."

Jack sat there, silent for a moment, hearing the pain in Ennis' voice that he wasn't showing on his face. Jack put his attention down on the surface of the table, ashamed. He gave a little nod of his head. "Yeah," he said. "But I didn't go home with him."

"Doesn't change the fact that the rumors are true."

Jack looked at Ennis, remembering when he had told Ennis last year not to believe rumors. He couldn't do that now because someone had got their information right. "I was mad," he said. "You wouldn't answer or call me back. You lied and called in sick. You quit your job. All you wanted was a day for yourself? Fine! I got one, too." He pushed the chair back away from the table and stood up, stepping away.

"I'd understand if I had rejected you," Ennis said, which made Jack stop. He kept his back to Ennis. "But, I HAVEN'T." Jack turned to see Ennis standing now. "If this is about Cassie, you have no reason to be jealous--"

Jack stepped forward, the table being the only thing between them both. "Don't you think I have the right to be jealous when the guy I love is hangin' with another woman?" he asked, the words falling out before he could stop them.

Ennis was visibly taken aback by Jack's words. But, before anything could be said, Jack turned and walked out of the library as fast as he could. He had said too much and probably pushed things too far. He wouldn't be surprised if Ennis never spoke to him again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prom night arrived. Jack was the one avoiding Ennis' phone calls now. Neither of them talked at school because Jack was afraid of what was going to be said. Jack had admitted a lot that day and had been thinking about it ever since. And he knew one thing for sure.