Chapter Thirty-Five - Don't Ignore Your Brain

KATIE'S POV

    Finishing touches on Sawyer and I's project will be happening over the course of the next month. The project isn't due until late April, but that's around a hectic time in the Benji Household. The eight month trial period for Dominick having full-custody will be up. We all know that Nikki's family will fight for full custody the moment the trial period ends.

   We have a lawyer on stand-by in the case that the case is taken to court, which we feel it will. Dominick has been going over to the law firm Mom works at once a week. He takes with the lawyer and they prepare him for what might come, or something like that. Today, is one of those weekly visits, which means Mollie is with Aunt Katie.

   Sawyer is over at the house for us to work on the project, but we've ended up spending time hanging out with Mollie. Sawyer is walking around the backyard holding Mollie's hands and helping her "walk". Dominick is convienced Mollie will start walking soon. She's already beginning to try and stand on her own.

"Favorite music band?" I ask.

"Band James, obviously because they are awesome." Sawyer replies almost instantly.

"Band James? Seriously? I bet only 5% of the town's population knows about them."

"You appear to be part of the 5%."

"Well yeah, Dominick used to 'hang' with one of the singers." I respond. The guy's name was Zachary, but he changed it to Zeke after joining the band. If I'm correct, Zac- I mean Zeke, once drove Dominick home after my brother had two cups too many of beer. Good guy, we got along. Funny too.

"No joke? That's awesome! Do you think that he could arrange something and-"

"There's zero chance, my brother and him don't talk anymore and I doubt they even remember each other, sorry."

  Sawyer lets out a sigh. I wave at Mollie who smiles at me. I hold my arms out for Sawyer to walk her over to me.

"Hi Mollie-Girl!" I say as I sit her on my lap. I look up at Sawyer, he smiles at me and sits down on the grass. "How's your family been?" I ask.

"Good. Logan is top of his class. Grace should be receiving a promotion at work soon, and Ellie is actually getting along with the family better." he says.

"Ellie?" I ask.

"Oh yeah, you haven't met her. Her actual name is Garbriella, and she's my older sister, she is Parker's Irish twin." he replies.

"She hasn't gotten along with your family?"

"She used to get along with everyone great, but she went through this... time and things changed. My parents pretty much only tolerate her. Grace and her can't speak more than three sentences to each other. She gets along with our brothers and myself though."

"What's wrong with Grace and her? You don't have to answer if it's private." I say.

"Let's just say that when Ellie was going through that time, Grace wasn't kind at all."

"Oh wow."

   Sawyer sighs and nods. I'm about to say something when I hear Mom calling me from the back door. "Please get the mail." She poses it as a question, but of course it's an order. I hand Mollie over to Sawyer and promise to return shortly.

  Once I've taken the mail out of the mailbox, I quickly search for my name on any of the envelopes. Dad always teases me about it, "No confession of undying today?" He'll say. I'll either rather my eyes and smile at him or have a quick comeback. Usually the former.

   I find two envelopes with my name on it. Both from unknown addresses. I hurry inside and throw the mail on the kitchen counter. My fingers quickly open the first envelope, I pull out a letter. My eyes quickly scan to the end to see who sent it, imagine my suprise when I see the words "Sincerely, Aria". I lean against the counter and start reading the letter.

"Dear Katie,

I'm unsure what to say exactly. I received your voicemails and I appreciate that you want me involve in Mollie's life. I would love nothing more than for both of us to have a relationship with our niece. However, the world we live in... Isn't that kind. At least not in this situation. I love Mollie. I always will love her and want only the best for her. Katie, a custody battle is not what we're looking at, this is a war. I want to keep Mollie away from that. I ask you to convince your brother to agree to a custody-deal with my parents as soon as possible. I know you were the one to convince him to try and be a father. If a custody-agreement soon isn't made than this will be taken to family court. A huge war will break out and one family will be leaving heartbroken. You aren't here, you have no idea how dedicated my parents are to kicking your brother and your family out of Mollie's life. Please, get Dominick to hurry.

Sincerely,
Aria"

   I re-read the letter and try to better understand what she's saying. She says she can't be in Mollie's life, but she wants Dominick to agree to a joint-custody agreement? This doesn't make any sense. I open the next letter in hopes it will provide me with a bit for clarity.

Katie,

Your parents and brother are all hiding a secret from you. I know that you've been asking questions, and that's good. Keep asking questions. Listen to your brain and ask all the questions that are running through them. Be careful about who you're believing, everyone lies. Some lies go deeper and-

"Katie, why didn't you bring the mail into the study?" Mom asks coming into the kitchen. I let out a startled gasp, I pick up the other mail and hand it to Mom. She smiles at me and puts her hand on my shoulder, "Sorry for the scare sweetheart." she says.

   She gives my shoulder a light squeeze before leaving the room. I pick up the letter and try to read it but I can't focus anymore. My nerves are tying into knots and I can't comprehend what I'm reading. I fold Aria's letter and put it in my pocket. The other letter I decide to tear it apart. I throw some of it away in the kitchen trash can and take the rest away in the big trash can outside in the front.

Just a prank. I tell myself. And yet I still wonder.

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***

I hope you enjoyed! I am so sorry for being so late and all, school kept me busy. Preparing for semester exams plus all these projects.

THANK YOU FOR READING! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED!

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, do what you want.