Chapter Forty-Three - The Clock Stopped at 3:42

***AUTHOR'S NOTE*** This is a longer chapter than usual. This chapter covers EVERYTHING that happens within the court-room. The next chapter will be the aftermath and lots of other stuff. I hope you enjoy, and thank you for reading!

DOMINICK'S POV

  Mollie is, like most babies, very aware of moods and will be effected by certain moods. Especially tense ones. She has been cranky and very fussy all morning. 

   I tried to put her down for a nap this morning, but she wouldn't calm down. Katie went on a short walk around the neighborhood with her, but she just seemed to get crankier. Only thing that has seemed to soothe Mollie is Pine. We triple checked the Pine was in the diaper bag before leaving for the court house. Mom did Katie's hair in a ballerina-styled bun. Dad did his best to give me a pep-talk to calm my nerves; but there wasn't much he could say. He can't promise me anything.

   Linkon called this morning to give me his best wishes. A few pals of mine texted me best wishes. Tyde, however, has been completely silent since the day I bought my suit. She was fine when she left that day. We joked around and shared some laughs on the way home. She smiled at me when she said goodbye, and didn't seem mad when she drove away.

   Tomorrow, I'll call her and worry but today I need to be focused. Mom and the lawyer warned me about all the tricks that might be pulled out today. Mom is constantly reminding me the important of staying respectful and calm.

   At the courthouse, I'll have to hand Mollie over to a social-worker. The social-worker will be watching Mollie while the court is in progress. There is some private room inside where social workers will take little kids in cases like this.

   Entering the courthouse, I'm instantly greeted by a woman in her mid-thirties. "Is this Mollie Benji?" She asks when she approaches. I force myself to confirm with a nod. Katie even seems a bit hesitant to hand over the diaper bag.

"She has a special comfort toy on the right side. She also has two pacifiers, but she loves the red one the best." Katie says.

   The social worker places the bag's strap around her shoulder. "Thank you." She replies. She holds her hands out to take Mollie. Mollie starts to fuss, like she knows what's going to happen.

   "No crying Buggie." I whisper as detach her from me. She starts to whine and squirm when she's been handed over. She looks at me with anger, fear, and confusion. Her arms are stretched out towards me, but I keep myself still. I look at the social worker, "If she doesn't stop crying after ten minutes, give her the comfort toy. It's the stuffed animal."

   "Thank you, Mr. Benji." she says politely. She turns away and starts walking away. Mollie is still squirming and even starts to cry. I turn away and do my best to ignore the sad sound. Katie is quickly by my side, she gives my back a reassuring pat.

"Things will be okay. Just you wait and see." she says optimistically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "All rise, this court is now in session." the bailiff says. I stand along with everyone else in the courtroom. "The honorable Judge Michelle Lauren  is presiding." the bailiff finishes. Judge Lauren does a quick nod and the bailiff then asks everyone to be seated.  Judge Lauren appears to be in her early thirties and wears a stern expression.

  She moves some papers around in front of her before addressing the court, "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of Joshua Wilton and Martha Wilton verses Dominick Benji for custody." She looks at Mr. and Mrs. Wilton first before looking over at me. "Are both sides ready?" she asks.