Chapter Six - What it is Like to Be a Nobody

KATIE'S POV

"Do you know if there's a test in Mr. Madin's class?" my locker-neighbor Cassidy asks me. I take a quick look at my calendar before shutting my locker.

"Yeah, there's a test on the human body today." I say turning the lock on my locker. Cassidy lets out a loud moan before slamming her locker door shut. A little dramatic today. I think as I watch Cassidy stomp away from her locker.

  I let out a sigh. Cassidy and I aren't really friends, but she's the only one here, besides my teachers , who actually know I exist. Not many people want to hang out with Dominick's uncool sister. If Dominick's reputation didn't already create issues for me, my own does me absolutely no favors.

  No one knows about my niece, and by how things looked this morning. No one will ever know. Mom made me go to school today. She told me that my time would be most productive being at school than the courthouse. She promised to call me after Dominick and her leave the court house this afternoon.

  This morning it looked like Dominick was ready to hand the baby right over. "She won't stop crying. I tried to feed her, I burped her, changed her and rocked her, but she wouldn't shut the h*ll up!" he said as he finished his second cup of coffee. The baby was in her Rock N' Play making sure anyone nearby knew she was not happy.

"Did Mom buy formula yesterday?" I asked him as I pick up a small bottle with two ounces left inside.

  I walked over the sink and rinsed the bottle out. "No, I've been giving her some regular milk mixed with water."

Maybe that's why she's crying. I said to myself. "I could ride my bike the store an-"

"You, young lady are going to school." Mom said walking into the kitchen. She gave my forehead a soft poke with her finger.

  I sighed and got ready for school. Mom dropped me off at school today, because I slept through my alarm and missed the bus. No one in the house was able to get much sleep.

  Right now, I hurry to my next class I need to be at. As my luck would have it. that the classroom I need to get to very soon is upstairs on the other side of the school .

  Last class of the day. Theater Arts. A nice way to end the day. After a day of attending all Pre-AP classes and ensuring P.E, Theater Arts provides me with a calming feeling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DOMINICK'S POV

  The Wiltons and their snooty over-dressed lawyer arrived a few minutes ago. Mom, Mr & Mrs. Wilton, and Overly-Dressed Lawyer, have been talking in a room ever since. Aria is also here, sitting across from me. Can't understand why. She's only a year younger than me and she should be in school. She's sitting across from me and looking down at her feet.

  Occasionally she'll look in the way of the baby carrier where the baby looking around the room wide-eyed.

"Do you want to hold her?" I ask. She looks up at my with a stunned expression on her face. She shakes her head.

   I hide my surprise and nod my head. "Okay, if you change your mind, feel free to hold her." I say. Aria gives me a smile. An uncomfortable awkward silence hangs between us.

"I have a question about.... your sister." I say breaking the silence.

"Yeah, what is it?" she asks sitting up a bit more.

"Was it postpartum depression?" I ask. Aria looks at me for a while before she opens her mouth to speak; but before she can say anything Overly-Dressed Lawyer walks out of the office. He looks at her for a moment and gestures for her to walk into the room.

  She nods and stands up. "Nice talking to you." she says looking at me.

"Same." I say giving her a small wave.

  She walks in the room and Overly-Dressed Lawyer takes a seat. He has a professional look to him. I don't say anything to him and he doesn't say anything to me.

  The baby starts to cry. She's probably hungry. Good thing that Mom and I bought formula before we arrive at the courthouse. I turn the carrier to where the baby is fully facing me. I dig around the baby bag for a bottle.

  When I do find the bottle it slips right out of my grip. Sh*t I think as I watch it roll away. I'm getting up to pick the bottle up when someone walking by picks it up.

  They hold it out to me. "Thanks." I say taking the bottle. I set the bottle on the chair next to me and start to take out the formula. I know I have a water bottle in this bag I think to myself. Why does making one small bottle have to be so damn hard?

"There's a water fountain down the hallway." a girl's voice says.

"I have a water bottle." I say as I continue to dig through the bag.

"Go to the water fountain and make a f*cking bottle. Your kid's crying is giving me a f*cking headache." the girl snaps. I snap my head up to shoot a glare at this girl.

  I'm slightly surprised at what I see. When you hear a girl talk like that, you expect her to have short or revealing clothes, tattoos or piercing, or some weird looking hair. This girl however looks pretty nice. Her dark shoulder-length hair is pulled back with a blue headband. She has a complete bang across her forehead.

  She's wearing a dark blue dress that goes down to her knees. "I doubt your language helps the situation." I snap back as I glare at her.

  She narrows her eyes at me, her hand snatches the bottle and the formula right off the chair. "Hey, what the hell!" I exclaim as she starts walking down the hall. She ignores me and continues walking down the hall to the water fountain. She fills the bottle halfway full of water and then puts the formula in.

  She shakes the bottle as she walks back. The whole time there's this annoyed expression on her face. "See, not too hard." she says as she hands back the bottle and formula.

What is her damn problem?

***AUTHOR'S NOTE*** Sorry for any errors! This was written on my iPod.

Note to Katie, oh boy, are you ever wrong!

I updated this quicker than usual.... so yay! When I update next the story will resume in the time period it's been centered around for most of the story (it's been centered months before the time period in PROLOGUE).

What do you think's going to happen to make things worse?

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW! Do whatever you want (except deliver hate)

I'm going to let you guys vote on what you want to see an upcoming chapter. (if you don't vote I'll decide myself)

1) Some history of Nikki and Dominick.

2) Some sibling-bonding moments between Katie and Dominick.

3) SURPRISE (it's a surprise)

ALSO on another note! I'm open to read what you guys write. Inbox me and I'll check out what you write. :)

THANKS FOR READING!