Chapter Sixty-Four - Hidden Behind a Smile

KATIE'S POV

   Mr. Samuel came over today to discuss details of the case. He also brought over the medical documents relating to Mollie that he was able to acquire. Dominick and I sit in Mom's office, Dominick has been reading document after document. For the past ten minutes, it has seemed that the only sound in the room is the ticking of the clock.

   I feel the anger radiating off of Dominick, I place a hand on his shoulder. "What do I need to do?" He asks Mr. Samuel.

"We have to wait to meet with the judge and work toward another custody hearing." Mr. Samuel begins to explain. "In the meantime, we need to gather more physical proof."

"More proof, look at the reports!" Dominick says raising his voice. He stands up and picks up one of the documents. He reads off of the paper, "Bruising along the arms and torso." He takes another page. "Fracturing of the left elbow."

   Mr. Samuel gestures for my brother to sit down in the chair. I gently take my brother's hand. He looks at me then at Mr. Samuel, he lets out a sigh and sits down. "Dominick, Mollie has started to walk." Mr. Samuel says. "The Wiltons could have a reasonable explanation for her injuries, I'm not saying I'd believe them but an impartial judge cannot be deaf to reason. We need proof a judge can see and the Wilton can't deny."

   I suck in my cheek, I haven't told Dominick or Mr. Samuel about Christopher gathering people willing to make statements. I don't want to risk getting Christopher in trouble for something I'm not even sure he's been able to accomplish. He hasn't answered any of my calls, texts, or instant messages. We haven't crossed paths and Sawyer appears to not know anything about it.

   The phone in the living room begins to ring, I stand up. "I'll get it." I say. I move my hand from Dominick's shoulder and head out of the office.

"Benji residence, Katie speaking." I answer.

"Hello." A muffled husky deep voice says.

"Hello, who is speaking?" I ask.

"Joshua Wilton and Martha Wilton will never let your brother win, no matter how proof he has. You're wasting your time going for the abuse angle the way you're doing it, focus your attention on proving Dominick a good father. The others will handle the rest." The voice says.

"What?" I exclaim. "What others?" I ask.

"Katie, who's on the phone?" Dominick asks from the office.

"Just do this and everything will be alright. I promise, I will ensure it." The voice says and then the call goes dead.

"Katie, what is going on?" Dominick asks coming up beside me. He takes the phone from my hand. He puts it up to his ear before setting it down. He looks at me, "What was that call about?" He asks.

"They said we need to stop focusing on proving Mr. and Mrs. Wilton are abusive." I say slowly looking up at my brother. "And I agree with them, we're focusing ourselves on the wrong matter."

    Dominick's expression changes, "I need you to back up your train of thought and explain."

"It's predictable, the abuse angle, Mr. and Mrs. Wilton are already expecting us to work to prove them to be horrible but we need to prove that you are simply the better option." I explain.

"And how do we do that, any bright ideas?" My brother asks.

"Aria said they like things to go their way, let's surprise them." I say.

   Dominick raises an eyebrow, "Appears we have a few new matters to discuss." He says as he starts back to the office. I follow close behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you really think I'm a good father?" Dominick asks sitting across from me at the ice cream parlor. He puts a spoonful of his ice cream into his mouth.

   I nod my head as I swallow the ice cream in my mouth. "You are." I say. The two of us haven't spoken at all about what I had said to Sawyer. After the phone call, for the rest of the meeting with Mr. Samuel, we talked about ways we could prove Dominick to be a fit parent. After Mr. Samuel left, Dominick and I both felt that grabbing ice cream at our favorite place would be a sweet treat. "I was a blind b*tch to not see how good of a father you were way before then." I say.

"Yeah, you were pretty blind. Now, you're just a b*tch." Dominick jokes. He chuckles at my expression changes to his comment. I cock my head to the side slightly and narrow my eyes at him.

"Okay, that was a good one." I admit. I move my head back to the way it was and take another bite of my ice cream. "Change of subject," I say. "... Tyde and you official yet?" I ask.

"We haven't even gone on a date or even approached the topic." Dominick replies.

"You two went on dates during the summer." I comment.

"We were just hanging out. Besides, Linkon and her don't get along." Dominick says.

I roll my eyes, "Exes don't always get along, that's not enough to hold you back. You like her, don't you?" I ask.

   Dominick sets his spoon down. "I'm eighteen years old, Katie. Crushes aren't what I'm focusing on. I have a daughter in the hospital and no one is returning my calls. I'm about to enter a custody battle. Not the best time to really talk about my romantic feelings for a girl." He says.

"So you do have feelings for her!" I tease. I laugh a small bit before stopping. "I wish we could see Mollie." I say with a sigh, I set my spoon down suddenly not feeling in the ice cream enjoying mood.

   Dominick looks at me for a bit. He gives me a small smile, "Well, maybe we can. No harm in trying."

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***
Final Spam Part 5

My phone has been glitching, there may be errors that will have to be editing. I apologize for them.

THANK YOU FOR READING! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED!

VOTE, FOLLOW, COMMENT, do whatever you want.