Chapter Fifty-Seven - The Song of the Night

FOUR DAYS AGO

DOMINICK'S POV

    Three o'clock in the morning, this is the sixth time i've woken up unexpectedly. I don't need to use to the restroom, or get a drink, or get another blanket. There's nothing wrong and yet there is something causing my sleep to come to an abrupt stop. I decide to not spend twenty minutes trying to fall asleep only to sleep for five minutes before jerking awake again. On the first two nights, when I'd suddenly wake up, my mind imagined the sound of Mollie's crying. I would walk over to the crib to see what she needed; and I would get the same crushing feeling at the sight of the empty crib.

   The lamp on my bedside table is on, I sit up against the wall. I try to avoid looking at the crib; but I know my eyes will eventually find their way to the direction of the crib. I do want to take down the crib and put it in the attic never to be seen for a while. Yet, I can't bring myself to take one screw out or remove the bedding.

   It's not because I want the reminder that Mollie was here; because that's the last thing I want. It's not because I'm too lazy to take it down, because I have brought the toolbox up more than once. There's something inside of me that is screaming at me to not touch the crib. "I want the crib to be gone so bad." I say to Linkon who is on the phone.

"I know." Linkon replies.

   I let out a sigh, "I miss Buggie." I admit. "Every minute of everyday, she is on my mind. Like she's this virus and I can't get rid of it, and every second of the night all I can do is lay awake and miss her."

"I know." Linkon says again. "It sucks more than anything. It gets more manageable with time, I promise you that."

"I hope so." I say. I look over at my alarm clock, "I'm gonna go, try to get some sleep. I got a test in the morning."

"Alright. Night." Linkon says.

   "Thanks man for talking, night." I say before hanging up the phone. I set my phone down on the bedside table. I move around in bed and adjust the pillow under my head, I stare at the ceiling. Tyde has called and texted to check in, I really don't know what to say to her. I'm not sure what to say other than, "Don't really want to talk. Thanks for your concern. Bye." I reach out and grab my phone, I move it around in my hands. Debating sending a text to Tyde, letting her know I'm still alive and need time.

   My phone screen lights up and begins to ring, I answer the call before even reading who the caller is. "Yes." I answer.

"Hey." A quiet whispering voice says on the other side of the line.

"Who is this?" I ask, I know the voice but can't place it.

"Aria." The moment she says the name, I match the voice.

    I'm silent for a moment, I sit up in my bed. "Aria... Hey, everything okay?" I ask.

    I hear some muffling on her end and then, quieter than before, she whispers, "I need your help."

   I turn on my bedside table lamp and sit up on the edge. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"Mollie, she won't go to sleep and my parents- I just need to know how to soothe her." Aria replies, still whispering.

   I move the phone down for a second. I take a deep breath and then raise the phone back up. "First, go into whichever room she's in and pick her up." I say.

   "Okay." Aria whispers. I hear sounds of movement and then the sound of Mollie's crying which gradually gets louder. Eventually, I hear Aria's voice again, still quiet but a bit louder. "Alright, I'm holding her. She's still crying, what do I do now?" She asks. I can hear the stress in her voice.

"Is she wet?" I ask.

"I've checked her diaper right before I called." Aria says.

"Did she have a bottle before you put her down?" I ask.

"She did, but I burped her and she was fine when I set her down. She slept for a bit and then she just woke up and hasn't stopped crying." Aria says.

   I'm about to ask if Mollie feels warm when I hear a noise outside. "Aria, is it raining over there?" I ask.

"Yeah, been raining all night." Aria answers. "Anyway, Mollie-"

"She's scared of thunder." I say interrupting Aria. "She needs comfort."

"Do I bounce her? Rock her? What do I do?" Aria asks, getting a bit more stressed.

"Sit down with her." I instruct. I stand up and start to softly pace around my room. "Next, hold her close and begin to rub gentle circles on her back."

   Moments pass, Mollie is still crying, before Aria comes back on the line, "She's not settling down." I hear a bit of stress and a hint of something else in her voice.

"Put the phone on speaker or somewhere Mollie can hear me." I say.

"Okay." I hear a bit more movement. "Okay, she can hear you." Aria says.

   I sit down on my bed, I take a deep breath. "Hey Buggie." I say softly. "Did the thunder scare you?" More crying. "Oh no no no, no crying. It's okay." I continue. "Your aunt Aria is there, Pine is there, and you are completely safe from that mean-loud thunder." I begin humming the tune of "On the Bayou". Throughout the song, Mollie's cries get quieter and quieter; and by the time I am close to the end, Mollie has stopped crying.

"Thanks Dominick." Aria whispers to me. I can hear the relief in her voice. "I think we'll be okay now, thanks again." She says.

"No problem." I reply.

"Night." Aria says.

"Goodnight Aria." I say. I hang up the phone and set my phone down on the bedside table.

   I walk over to the crib and just look in it. At the nothing and emptiness of it. "Goodnight Buggie." I whisper.

***AUTHOR'S NOTE***

You all are so amazing and so patient, I am so grateful! I know this chapter is long-overdue, I'm sorry to keep you all waiting.

Please excuse any errors, I will properly edit when I have more time and my laptop is working.

THANK YOU FOR READING! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED!

VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, do whatever you want.