Chapter Seventy-Two - Puzzle Pieces

*** QUICK AUTHOR'S NOTE*** This is the last chapter, all that's left is the epilogue and then... I can't believe I actually got here. Thank you a thousand times for reading this story, and I am so glad you enjoyed it. "No Regrets" is so close to being finished and I'm a bit emotional!

I hope you enjoy the last chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~

MAY 2015
SEVEN MONTHS LATER

KATIE'S POV

   Mollie sits on my lap, her hair is tied up in pigtails with blue ribbons, the color of the school. She is dressed in light blue shirts and a pink tank-top. Holding her on my lap is the only thing keeping her from running down to the football field where the graduating class is seated. All Mollie seems to do is run, she would run around the world and still have the energy to run two marathons.

   Mollie came home in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Having a baby back in the house took time to get adjust to. Everything was different, we had to do a lot more baby-proofing. Work on getting Mollie adjusted to a new schedule while also changing our regular schedule. There were physical therapy and doctors' appointments, Dominick made sure Mollie never missed one.

   There were a lot of milestones my family got to re-experience with Mollie. Her brain had to be retrained in some areas. She had to learn how to crawl, stand, and walk on her own again. There is a lot of footage of Dominick and Mom sitting on the floor trying to get Mollie to one another. She took her first steps for the second time right before New Years. Now, Mollie is running around and hyper every moment she is awake. She is also incredibly smart and has a big attitude, despite being such a small toddler. She's two months shy of turning two years old; and she is in the 78th percentile in both height and weight.

"Mollie, do you want a snack?" I ask her.

"No." She says firmly. "I down?" She asks.

"No, you have to sit in my lap while the graduation is happening." I say.

   She makes a pouting noise and starts to wiggle around. My hands are quick to readjust her on my lap, "No ma'am." I say. "This is not how we act." I tell her.

   I look out in front of me at the football field and quickly spot my brother. He is seated on the field along with all the other students graduating in white lawn chairs. Sitting a few rows behind him, I spot Linkon. This is a huge day for him, this may be one of the last times I see him for a while. Linkon ships out next week, he passed all the physical and mental exams with great scores. He had done very good in the training, but there is still a lot to do at Basic. Next to him, Tyde. She has been very present in the house for the past several months. Dominick and her officially started dating two months ago, but it was clear three months before then they were a couple. Sharing quick kisses in the driveway, going on dates at least twice a month, and the feelings that were obvious to everyone.

   The school year seemed to pass by as if it were merely a turn of a page in a book. Sawyer and I graduated junior high. He has kept to his word and patiently waited for me to give him an official answer. I feel guilty that I am barely close to knowing what my answer is than I was that day at the courthouse. I focused so much on my niece, my family, and school that I didn't leave myself much time to really think.

"Dada." Mollie says as she stares out at the football. "No Dada." She says a bit sad.

   I lower my head down to her level. I point out towards Dominick. "Daddy is right there." I say pointing. Mollie stares at the spot.