Chapter Eighteen - New Year's Resolution

KATIE'S POV

When I arrived at Sawyer's house, his mother answered the door. "Hello Katie!" she said sweetly. She waved at Mom, who was sitting in the car. "You can call me Mrs. Gribes or Mrs. Willa. Please, make yourself at home." Sawyer's mother said after I walked inside. I wipe my not-really-dirty shoes on the welcome mat before stepping any further inside.

Sawyer's mother showed me to a dinning room where food is laid out on a long table. Sawyer was in there making a mashed potato mound Mount. Everest high on his plate. He notices me walking in and put the serving spoon back in to the large bowl of mashed potato bowl. "I really love my mom's mash potatoes." he explained quickly.

"I didn't say anything." I said with a smile.

"Your face said everything." he replied.

I grabbed a plate and walk around the table. I ended up with a roasted chicken breast, a bit of steamed broccoli, and a small helping of mashed potatoes, on my plate. Sawyer led me into a large living room where tons of people are sitting. They are of all different ages between toddler to elderly. A few of them noticed me coming in.

They offer friendly waves that I return along with a smile. Sawyer and I sit down on the floor in front of the TV. The occupants in the room are everywhere, some on the couch, others on chairs, and others on the floor.

"You have a huge family." I whispered to Sawyer.

He did a quick look at the room and seemed to only just notice how many people were there. "Mostly family and the others are like you." he replied.

"Like me?" I ask.

"Guests. Invited by family members." He answered.

I don't know what to say or do so I started eating. The TV was playing the huge New Years in New York City event.

Right now, they're interviewing a few people who are standing in Times Square while they wait for one of the singers to get on stage. Part of me wishes I could be there. I've always wanted to go to New York to see the ball drop and the sign light-up with the new year.

Dominick has gone before with a few of his friends a couple times. He always says that it's better to watch from home. "I'm lucky I'm not deaf." he says everytime I ask him about what it was like.

"Hey, you finally brought the girlfriend!" A male voice calls out. I turn my head to see a boy sitting down on the other side of Sawyer. The boy gives Sawyer a light punch on the arm. He looks over at me and reaches his hand across. "Hello, I'm this oddball's cousin, my name's Christopher. I've heard many things about you, Katie." He says with a smile.

I smile and shake his hand. I bet you know about the phone call. I imagine making a comment about the phone call to him. However, on the slim chance he doesn't know, I'd rather not bring it up.

"Tell me, how did my cousin and you meet?" He asks.

The true answer or the one Sawyer thinks is true? I think. I open my mouth to give an answer when Sawyer clears his threat. "Go harass someone else." He says to Christoper, giving him a push.

Christopher doesn't pay attention to Sawyer. "Was it an instant connection?" He asks leaning closer to me.

"No." I say instantly. "I mean... No, there's no connection... Well, there is but no-" my words fail.

"Say no more." Christopher says winking at me before turning his attention to Sawyer. "She's a lovely swan! You are lucky to have female company so lovely as she." He says before he gets up and goes to talk to someone else.