Chapter Sixty - Chap. One

SEPTEMBER 2014

THREE MONTHS LATER

KATIE'S POV

   First five weeks of eight grade, and the pressure is really starting to get to me. I feel myself beginning to burn out. For every piece of homework I finish and every paper I write, it seems five more grow back in their places. I've moved campuses, the middle school only went to seventh grade.

  Technically, Dominick and I go to different schools but they're on the same campus. One building, the biggest one, is the high school; and the smaller one, not too much smaller, is my school. Since the two of us share a campus, there is no reason for Mom or Dad drive me to school in the mornings. Dominick has early morning study hall, which means I have to get up and be at the campus an hour before my school opens. I usually wait and sleep in the car, but on cold mornings like today, I go inside with Dominick. He doesn't say anything to me as we enter a classroom with a few students sitting at desks. "Just go sit at an empty desk." Dominick says.

   I nod my head and find myself a vacant desk at the back corner of the classroom. Dominick and I don't have very many or long conversations as of late. During the summer our relationship seemed to slowly improve. We spent some time together, went to a few movies, visited the water park a couple times, had some television marathons, and really talked to one another. During this time, it became clear to me Dominick didn't know the truth about our biological link.

   Then, a few weeks before school started, Dominick began to act as if nothing we did this summer had happened.

   I don't push him like I used to. Anyone with eyes can see that my brother's having a hard time. He barely saw Mollie this summer, the Wiltons always seemed to be on vacation or someone was sick. When they did bring her to the meeting place. Dominick said they always got out of there as soon as they could and hardly let Dominick actually enjoy his time. They always seemed to be pulling Mollie away from him to fix her hair, to pull up her pants, or to adjust her shirt.

   The only Mollie I saw this summer were the pictures and videos Dominick shared with my parents and I. Even though Dominick says it is not my fault, I cannot get rid of the guilt and shame that eats away  at me at times. I was too critical, too judgmental, and blabbed far too much. I cannot help but wonder if I hadn't been that wet, would Mollie still be with Dominick. Remembering what the judge said, probably not..

   A folded piece of notebook paper lands on my desk. I unfold the paper and read, "Look right." I turn my head to see Christopher seated a couple desks away from me. I can't help but smile as I stand up and move desks to the one beside him. Sawyer and I didn't talk to or see one another since school ended. I hardly spoke to him after the showcase. I'm not angry with him, I wanted to be but I wasn't. However, I didn't feel up to talking to him either. Not seeing Sawyer meant not seeing Christopher.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"I could ask you the same." Christopher replies.

"My brother comes here in the mornings, usually I wait in the car. Now, why are you here?" I ask.

"Freshmen year, already having some issues." Christopher replies. He turns his head and looks over towards Dominick. The back of Dominick's head is facing us. "How's he doing?" Christopher whispers to me
without turning his head.

  I let out a sigh. "I know he's having a hard time, but I can't tell how hard."

   Christopher turns to face me, "How are you?" He asks.

"I miss my niece." I reply. "Never realized how hard it was going to be still, feels the older she gets the harder it is."

   Christopher is silent for a bit. I give him a small smile, "I should let you get back to work." I say, "Great seeing you."

"Can I message you after school?" Christopher asks. "I... there is something you need to know."

   I look into his eyes and I nod my head. There was a fear in his eyes, as if he was still unsure if he wanted me to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DOMINICK'S POV

   I'm barely staying awake through third period, Government. Linkon nudges me a bit with his elbow. I cover my mouth as I yawn and stare the whiteboard where our teacher, Mr. Lankford, is writing information down.

   I write down a quick note in my notebook. I look around the classroom and see my classmates are about as awake as me. Suddenly, I hear a loud vibrating sound coming from my pant pocket. Mr. Lankford stops writing on the whiteboard and turns to the class. His eyes land on me as I pull my phone out. "Dominick, if you would kindly put a pause on your social life for my class, I would greatly appreciate it." He says with a sigh.

   I see the caller ID, I hesitate rejecting the call but I hit the button. I can't help but feel uneasy. Mr. Lankford resumes the lesson.

"What is wrong?" Linkon whispers leaning over across the aisle.

"I don't know." I whisper back. I take another note. My phone begins to vibrate again. I whip out my phone same caller.

"Dominick, do I need to confiscate-" Mr. Lankford starts I interrupt him. "I have to take this call." I say urgently. I press the answer button and throw the phone up to my hair.

   The second the call goes through I hear a panicked-breathless sound. I stiffen, "Aria?" I say firmly.

   Linkon shifts in his seat and I feel his eyes on me. My grip tightens on the phone when I hear more sound of breathlessness and then my name. It comes out like a gasp. "Aria, what is it?"

"Dominick, if it is an emergency please take it outside." Mr. Lankford instructs.

   I don't move. No words only the same noise. "Aria." I can't control the shake in my voice. "Aria, what is it?"

"She's hurt." Aria cries out on the other side. I hear her gasping for air and a stifled sob coming out. "She wasn't moving... I found her on the ground... and.. she was limp... Mollie's hurt."

***AUTHOR NOTE***
Spam Part 2!

I am so cruel for leaving you all here. However, you only have to wait a day!

I know 4 months is a big time jump! But, do not worry, all the important things that happened - which was only a few things - over the four months will be revealed - some of it already has been -.

THANK YOU FOR READING!