Chapter Twenty Two - What's Right?

KATIE'S POV

   Grace's daughter, Lucy, is happily singing, very loudly, next to me in the car. Sawyer giving me a sympathetic look from the passenger's seat. He looks over at his niece. "Lucy, let's be a bit quiet. I don't think Katie can hear herself think." he says. "How about you play with a doll?" he says pulling a doll out of a small toy-filled box on the back floorboard.

   I notice Grace glance at us from the rear view mirror. "Uncle Sawyer is right. You can sing when we get to Papo and Mimi's house." she says.

   I called Sawyer today to see about working on the second-half of our Theater Arts project. When he said we could, I asked if we could work at his house. I still can't stand to be around Dominick . I can't explain exactly why time I look at him or hear his voice I become annoyed and angry. Sawyer's mom didn't have a problem with me coming over; and Grace didn't mind driving by to pick me up.

   Grace turns on the radio, music bursts out of the speakers. I get a bit startled from the sudden loud sound. Grace quickly turns the volume way down. "I am sorry about that. Lucy and I love to rock out, don't we?" Grace glances at Lucy in the rear view mirror.

   Lucy throws her hands in the air. "Yeah!" she exclaims.

   I smile at Lucy, she is a happy and beautiful little girl. She has light colored hair with a hint of red that I comes from her father. From the pictures I saw hanging around Sawyer's house and looking at her, Grace is a natural brunette. Sawyer advised me a head of time not to ask about Lucy's father. He never has explained why; but he doesn't need to, there are lots of good reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "I'm sorry about the incident on New Year's Eve with my brother." I say as I take my notebook out of my backpack. Sawyer is sitting across from me at the kitchen table. He pulls out the requirement form for the second half of our Theater Art's project. We have to use the script we'd written last semester and make a short film.

   He looks up at me. "Don't apologize. The paper says that the short film has to be at least tweleve minutes long." he says.

"I have a video camera we could use." I say. "My brother, he's trying to be a good father, but he lacks some important stuff." I explain.

"What does he lack?" Sawyer asks.

"Self-control is the main thing. The video camera can record 720p." I say. "He can also be irresponsible and insensitive. He isn't very warm." I add.

   Sawyer and I discuss both our project and Dominick. In regards to the project, we decide that we'll use my video camera to record the short film. We'll do a little editting on the script to be able to adapt it properly to the screen; and if all works out, we can start filming the first week of February. We don't know where we'll record the short film. It depends on who's house is less chaotic and easy to get work done in; which might be a hit hard to decide.
In regards to Dominick, we simply agree that Dominick is young and can improve in certain areas.

   After working on our project, we decide to take a walk. There's a walking trail behind Sawyer's house.

"Do you think Dominick raising Mollie is that best thing?" Sawyer asks.

   "I have no idea." I admit. I admire a flower growing alongside the walking path. "He actually can be really great with her. Yesterday, he took the first morning feeding without complaint. That's improvement." It was actually a huge step forward for Dominick. Usually, he'll have one the parents take the morning feeding; but yesterday he woke up with her and did it all himself. He fed her, burped her, changed her, and got her dressed for the day, all without seeming irritated.