Chapter Thirty-Eight - Not Everyone Wins

***AUTHOR'S NOTE*** I wrote this THREE TIMES! It deleted each time before (it wouldn't save what I had written) the fourth (this) attempt I was about to either throw my computer our of the window or simply scream and lose my mind. It was frustrating! Has anyone had this issue?

DOMINICK'S POV

   My surprise when I learned about Aria's letter to Katie cannot be described with one word. The level of surprise was almost as high as when I learned about Mollie's existence. If Aria had written me a letter, I wouldn't have been as surprised. The fact that she wrote Katie a letter is what completely shocked me.

   The level of surprise only shot up when Katie told me about the purpose of the letter. Jumping in to a joint-custody arrangement. Sharing Mollie with the very people who I believe would kidnap her and flee the country first chance they got.

   At first, I didn't even consider the idea, the answer was a hell to the no. After a few hours, enough time for my feelings to level themselves evenly, I read the letter myself. I considered the idea. Agreeing to joint-custody would allow Aria to spend time and bond with her niece. Mr. and Mrs. Wilton might actually see I'm not the awful-monster-father they firmly believe I am. Mollie be given the chance to know more about her mother.

   Mollie is the most important part of this whole situation. In order to do what's in her best interest, my sour and very understandable, feelings have to be pushed aside. If sharing holidays, birthdays, and time with her is what's best, then I'll agree to joint-custody. However, I won't know what's best until I talk with the people I'll have to share her with.

    Yesterday, Mr. Wilton instantly hung up on me at the sound of my voice the first two times I called. The third time, he stayed on the line long enough to tell me where to go... it wasn't a pleasant place. I ended up having to call Aria who didn't answer her phone. I left her a voice message saying, "Hey, it's Dominick. I read your letter to Katie, and I'll consider the idea. However, I won't decide anything until I talk with your parents. I want to meet with them sometime very soon, without any lawyers. Just me and them talking about what's in Mollie's best interest. please talk to them for me. Bye."

   Half an hour later, she texted me with a time and a place. The time: today at one o'clock in the afternoon. The place: Jenkin's Grill. Katie is at school till four in the afternoon and both my parents are at work, which meant I had to find someone to watch Mollie. There was no way I was being her to the meeting with people who wouldn't hesitate to snatch her up and run for the hills.

   Fortunately for me, Linkon was available and willing to watch her. I packed the baby bag full of extra clothes, diapers, bottles, blankets, formula, toys, and everything else Mollie could possibly need. I even almost brought her bath-chair. I don't know how long the meeting will be and I want to ensure Linkon won't call me needing something. Any questions he may have about taking care of Mollie, he'll have to call my parents. I made sure he had their numbers, I sent the contact information to his phone and wrote them down on a piece of paper for him.

  For Mollie, this isn't about you or your feelings. This is for Mollie. I tell myself as I pull into the parking lot of Jenkin's Grill. Seven months of avoiding Mr. and Mrs. Wilton, and now I've actually arranged to see them. Perhaps the sleep deprivation has ruined my brain.

   Many emotions arise when I see the two them seated inside the restaurant. One of the emotions being the overwhelming sense to drive off and cancel the whole thing. Do this for her. I tell myself as I approach the restaurant's door.

   I step inside and quickly make my way over to the Wilton's table before I can have a second thought. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Wilton." I say politely as I approach the table.