03. Treasury

At the back of the ship on the lower floors, Shade leads Shin to the storage room. Shin scans around at his surroundings at the luxurious treasures in the room: gold, jewelry, rings, earrings, necklaces, pocketwatches, and household items such as feather pens and a soft-knotted blanket. Although the room was filled with wealth, it was strange for Shin to see them neatly out or neatly in their treasure chests.

Shade carefully looks at each chest then chooses one particular brown one with bright gold linings that traced around to the lock. He carries the chest and drops it much closer to Shin.

"This one will be yours." Shade finally spoke. His voice was deeply soft, soothing, but also mysterious. "Do check and make sure everything you need is in there. My guess inside that chest of yours are clothes, jewelry, old books, scrolls..."

Shade then trails off and feels his head, sighing, "That's all I remember."

Shin nods slowly and lowers down, looking through the items. "Thank you.."

After Shin makes sure all the necessary items are inside, Shade kneels and is about to lift the chest again until Shin questions.

"Shade, right?"

Shade looks at Shin and nods, "Yes."

Shin looks at the other chest as he says, "When we entered, I can't help, but find that everything is neat here. I would expect treasuries to be everywhere or even see you guys using it."

Shade lifts his own head up at the ceiling and sighs out, "Shin.." He then looks back at Shin with such a glare as he begins to walk closer to Shin.

Shin's eyes widen, feeling as if he had said something wrong. "I'm sorry.. I just- Usually what I hear-"

"Forget it. Whatever you heard, read, or have taught of, forget it all." Shade lowly said, he then mutters quietly, "Shin, not all pirates steal. Not us. All these, were discovered." Shade says that before turning away, lifting the chest with both arms.

Shin looks down, feeling guilty, "I'm sorry."

Shade looks at Shin and gestures with his head to follow him, "No, no worries. Of course you wouldn't know. You're a doctor after all."

As they exit the storage room and to the halls, Shade continues to speak, feeling more comfortable with the doctor than before. Shin listens intently.

"We're called Miracle for a reason. We do not harm until it's done to us." Shade then scoffs, "We're not like the tragedy."

Shade looks out at the open ocean then slightly shivers. Shin also notices, making him more curious than ever. Unable to question the uneasy feeling, they made it back to Shin's room that connects with the captain's room.

"Well, welcome home." Shade warmly says as he drops the chest on the ground.

"Thank you. I did wish I could help-"

Shade waves with a hand, scoffing, "Psh, no need. It was a piece of cake." He looks at Shin for a few second then gives him a nod, "Please, like the captain and the others would say, make yourself a home."

Shin slowly smiles upon hearing his words. Shade exits and leaves Shin to be as Shin begins to unpack the things in the chest.

After a few moments, Haru knocks on the doorframe for Shin to know he is present.

Shin looks up once he finally finishes to find Haru there watching him.

"Oh, hey. Need something?"

Haru crosses his arms and shakes his head, keeping his head low, "Nay. Was checking on you actually."

"Well, I'm fine now, thank you."

Haru looks at the chest and notices a pair of clothing in there still. He reaches in and takes the outfit out, staring at it then at Shin. He whispers quietly, "I haven't seen this in ages."

Shin looks at the dark bright coat and questions, "Did it belong to you?"

Haru shakes his head, "No. It was one of my oldest journeys." He neatly folds the clothes together, "I think you should wear this tonight."

Shin raises an eyebrow in confusion, "Tonight?"

Haru nods, "My navigator confirmed just earlier that a storm will be approaching so we will be settling in the dining area for a crew feast. Fortunately there are no winds but only heavy rain so we won't need to be on high alert."

Shin nods slowly in understandingly, "I see. Well, I will keep that in mind." Shin then closes the chest then sets it against the wall next to his bed. "You said the coat was one of your oldest journeys."

"I am sure you are curious about what I meant?"

"In fact I am."

"Shade did lead you to the storage room?"

"Aye."

"All those treasury, chests, each tell a story. Whatever is inside the chest, tells a different story. This one you were given, I remember discovering this one when I sailed along with the savant."

Shin's eyes widened, "The savant?"

"He trained me when I was a young one. The owner of the chest was unknown unfortunately, but a letter was inside that said whoever found it was considered chosen and the gifted one."

Haru pauses then clears his throat, "Like my father, doctors are hard to accept on boards. It takes trust and courage for a captain to accept you."

Haru puts a hand over his heart, "My apologies, I will be on duty now. I will meet up with you and the others tonight."

Shin respectfully bows, "No worries."

Haru lowly glances at Shin and quietly says, "You know, you remind me of my mother."

"Your mother..?"

Haru nods slowly before tipping his tricorn down then taking his leave, leaving Shin puzzled.

To Be Continued...