Attempt.

CHAPTER 3

I walked into town and found a cafe on the end of the corner. I took heavy strides there and entered.

All eyes fell on me, ignoring them I took a deep breath and walked up to the counter.

I ordered a rum and coke, while I waited, I looked around. I didn't see anyone that was familiar... Hell I couldn't even remember the goddamn store when I looked at it, let alone my own mother.

"Hey... Um..." a male voice said on the side of me.

I looked on the side of me slowly and a man was sitting there on the bar stool, the same man who rescued me. I knew it was him because of those eyes.

"Thank you... For erm..." I said awkwardly.

I mean... I didn't actually know what to say but thank you, the man saved my life. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be sitting here right now. I would probably be a meal for a wild animal or something.

He chuckled; deep dimples appeared.

God! He was gorgeous.

His hair was dark and shaggy that stopped by his ear, light grey eyes, perfect rosy lips and a chiseled jaw line.

He was perfection.

He cleared his throat. "You're welcome...--" he trailed off looking for a name.

"Rain..." I blurted out

He smiled again and took my hand, I looked down as his hand clasped mine. He kissed the back of my hand gently. His hand was bigger of course, my hand looked so small against his.

"Your welcome Rain..." he whispered to me. It was a low seductive whisper; his voice was heavenly; I liked every word that spilled from his lips.

I looked at him and slightly smiled, I liked when he said my name. He made it sound so good rolling off of his tongue, like a melody he only knew about. He gave me a safe3 feeling. like I was home.

Mainly, I was taken aback. I didn't think he would be this kind.

He looked like one of those bad boys that you see in the movies.

Dark.

Dangerous,

And sexy.

But somehow this personality fit him, he looked like he couldn't hurt a fly though.

"Here's your drink miss." The tender said to me. I thanked him and turned back to the man, but he was gone.

Fifteen minutes later I was walking down the sidewalk, just enjoying the cool night. I haven't really been enjoying my time here except now. Better yet, I was still pondering on how I magically got here, nevertheless what happened to me while I was gone. I looked around to the empty streets and the dancing trees, closing my eyes for a moment, opening them I felt a presence in the back of me.

The night was darker than I remember, that was odd as I looked around some more.

"Rain!" Someone yelled in the back of me.

I turned around and the mysterious man that saved me appeared.

It was quite weird that he kept finding me, I was starting to think I had a stalker.

He quickly walked up to me, he stopped inches from my frame and put his hands in his jacket pockets.

God! He was sexy!

Anything he did he made it look like perfection.

Hell, if he would've killed someone, he would probably make it look so fascinating and exquisite.

"Sorry I ran off... I um...--" He started.

I cut him off raising a hand. "It's perfectly fine..."

This was awkward as hell and we both felt that I also felt drawn to him. I could see it in his eyes. He was trying to find me? I couldn't figure it out he was just so warm; I could feel his energy from a mile away. I wouldn't think it was weird or anything but at this very moment I needed whatever this feeling he was giving me.

He smiled and held out his hand. "I'm Harlem..." he introduced

I wanted to close my eyes at the sound of his name, something inside of my body fluttered sending chills down my spine. What was this all about?

I shook his hand and a weird feeling jolted over me, making my hand jerk back from his touch. My eyes opened wide as a jolt of electricity filled my body, it was warm and comforting like I just got a hug from my favorite person. Yep! This is getting weird.

He raised a perfect eyebrow in confusion.

"You, okay? You seem a little alarmed." he pointed out.

I shook my head and sent a fake smile his way. "I'm fine... Actually, I have to get going..." I trailed off as I looked into his eyes. 

Geez... This was going to take some time.

His grey eyes were indeed enchanting, I've never seen eyes so bright. It was like the moon actually, every time the light caught his eyes the right way it glowed.

It was beautiful.

"Hey... Let me give you a ride..." he suggested.

I snapped out of my thoughts looking at him in confusion.

"I'm sorry what?" I questioned.

He looked down to the ground and chuckled. "I said... Let me give you a ride... It's dangerous out here at night."

Leaving me in no position to argue, I nodded my head in agreement.

And besides I wanted to get to know him more and figure out what that feeling was when I touched him. I knew it meant something, I was curious to find out what it was.

He walked off to the parking lot and I quickly trailed after him. I couldn't believe I was going to get in a car with a stranger, but then I also knew I could take him down in a blink of an eye if he tried anything.

It was a win-win.

We walked to a black SUV. It was beautiful, I've never seen a car like this one before.

"My lady..." he said as he opened the passenger door for me.

I smiled and hopped in the front seat.

The smell in the car was delightful. A new car smell, and a fragrance of burnt jasmine and something I couldn't quite figure out.

Harlem got in the car and started the engine, before I knew it, we were out of the lot and on the street.

"So where do you live?" he asked me as he kept his eyes on the road.

I searched my head for a good lie. I would go back to Beth and Annabel but... They didn't actually give me a come home card. Besides I needed somewhere to lay low so I could find my father.

"I um..." I trailed off.

He looked at me. "You don't actually have a home? Do you?" he speculated

"I... --" I started.

But before I knew it, life flashed before my eyes.

A car was coming at us fast, fast enough that no one, not even a supernatural could stop it.

"Look out!" I yelped.

He turned to the road and quickly hit the brakes.

But... Like I said... My life flashed before my eyes and the car hit us at full speed. Sending us tumbling on the road like a skipping rock.

In that moment when my world was going in circles. Memories came to me, memories of me and my dad at the lake... Skipping rocks onto the water, memories of me and him on a boardwalk eating ice cream, memories of me and him playing toss at a carnival, memories of him pushing me on the swings, memories of him kissing me goodbye before he left.

And just like that, in a matter of seconds my life was gone... Darkness swept over me. It was calm and peaceful... I wasn't scared or hurt anymore.

All I felt was a comfortable blanket of darkness.