My Faith, My Sorrow.

Chapter 17

My chest felt like fire, my lungs felt like there were no air left. Life stopped in that one moment when I realized what he said. I looked up to the sky full of stars and closed my eyes. It felt good, to just close my eyes and feel my whole world spinning in a 360-degree motion. I heard my name being called but my eyes remained closed. I needed this moment to feel and hear silence. That's what my heart needed.

A hand touched my shoulder as I opened my eyes. Garrett was there face turned to me, his expression looked shocked and unreadable. I wanted to know what he was thinking. I completely went silent for a whole thirty minutes. I didn't even realize Adam was still here all that mattered was that Garrett was here.

"Take me to him." I said finally.

I couldn't really speak. My throat was so tight I thought I would cough and never stop. I gulped a couple times, but my throat was so itchy my eyes watered. I didn't know if it was because I was sad, or my body was reacting to my itchy and tight throat.

Garrett nodded and guided me away from the amusement park, I couldn't help but to look back to Adam. He was standing there watching us walk away. I believe he understood, the look he had showed me was that he was sorry and disappointed. I was disappointed we didn't get that much time to talk. All that was important now was Harlem.

We walked in silence until we came to a stop in the middle of the road.

"Take us there." He suggested.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I thought about Harlem. I thought about his smile and goofy comments that seemed awkward and lame, I thought about the way he made me feel. I thought about his heart, it felt so heavy and dark. I felt a strong tug, I was spinning and spinning until I finally opened my eyes.

We both stood in front of a wrecked burnt car turned over on its hood. A small fire crackled on the side of the charred car as I ran to the vehicle and spotted him. I was astonished that his body remained unharmed by the flames. I stared at him for a while feeling my eyes water, my nose burned and flared as I tried to hold my tears back. A glass shard covered his chest, blood trickled from the side of his forehead almost connecting with his eye. I never wanted this for him, he told me so many plans he had. How could this happen?

I grabbed the glass shard from his chest and grabbed him from the car, he laid in the middle of the road now. His body was so cold, his skin a glistening light blue. His skin tone was there but just barely.

I bent down on the ground and held him in my arms. A sob escaped from my throat instantly making my vision blurry. Tears stained my cheeks and dropped down on his shirt, the only thing I thought about was that he didn't want this.

I didn't want this. He had died just like I met him, thinking about the first time we were in the middle of the road made my heart clench a thousand times over. What was life without him? Who was I without him?  

After holding him in my arms and crying for twenty minutes, I finally cut into the silence. I let the silence take over me as I stared into nothing down the road. I held him in my arms because I never wanted to let him go. I needed to hold him.

"How did this happen?" I whispered.

"Someone hit us on the road. It was my fault I could've stopped it. I could've—..."

"Don't you dare blame yourself!" I demand as I caresses Harlem's head.

I put a hand on his cheek and closed my eyes. I was challenging energy from him. I wanted to see if he was at peace. That would at least put my mind at ease.

Red covered my vision as internal screaming filled my ears. Everything was spinning and his mind was all over the place.

I snatched away from him. He was suffering, he was in so much pain I could still feel him on my fingertips. My hands started to shake, anxious about what I just saw. I stood up and looked at Garrett.