Noble Men Die First

Chapter 16

The ground felt cold on my bare skin as I opened my eyes. A pitch-dark sky clouded my vision, it was a bit cold out as I shivered sitting up.

Where am I?

I looked around to green healthy trees, damp sidewalk, and street. The place I was in wasn't at all recognizable. The grass blew with the wind in tune with the earth and the trees danced happily. I felt at home here, something was familiar; just not quite.

Finally on my two feet I noticed I was completely naked. Looking around I saw town houses lined up along the banks of neat grass. It looked like a nice quiet neighborhood, a place I'd like to be.

Looking at the spot I arose from I saw a black button up tee shirt on a clothesline on a random lawn and quickly put that on. Walking barefoot along the street, confused and alone I spotted a cake shop ahead. Faint lights flickered inside of the building indicating the store was open. Staggering to the front door I opened it and a bell was heard.

"Welcome to Jake's Cake Shop! How may I help you?" A woman with black hair and green eyes greeted me. She looked about thirty or so but she looked beautiful.

I weakly smiled at her and asked her where I was.

"Georgetown, Alabama ma'am. Are you lost?" She inquired after she looked me over.

I nod sitting at a booth that I stood next to.

She made her way over to me smiling sweetly. "You look like someone I used to know. What is your name dear?" She questioned

"Crista Vanderbelt." I replied

She gasped holding her mouth. "Are you Gabriel Vanderbelt's daughter?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Yes. Why does that matter?"

She sat across from me.

"He showed up here almost 14 years ago. Lost confused and also half naked" she giggles. "I knew he was lost. He looked troubled, like he was running from something. Are you running from something?"

As soon as she asked that question my head started to pound with the most awful headache ever. Visions flooded my memory, visions of Harlem, Garret, Harlem's Dad and Harlem's sister and brother. We were in a car, and I was in the backseat feeling weak laying on Harlem's lap.

The conversation was a blur as the car hit something, sending us spinning on the road. Memories of when I was kidnapped and fed off of, memories of seeing my dad and him getting tortured. Memories of how I ended up here. I time traveled when we were spinning on the road. I really don't remember what I was thinking about. So, I don't know why I'm here.

Opening my eyes, I was on the floor hunching over on one leg. The lady was bent over towards me asking if I was okay.

I stood up and smiled weakly. "I'm fine. I just got a migraine."

She looked at me in questioning. Her lips pursed like she wanted to say something but didn't.

"Do you have anything I can change into?" I wondered

She nods still looking at me confused. I followed her up some stairs at the back of the store. A old modern couch stood upon entering the top of the stairs. A kitchen was shown on the far left and a dark hallway. I sat on the couch as she went into a closet on the side of a television stand.

"Is this fine dear?" She asked

I looked up at her to find her hand me a white tank top and black jeans.

"You look like my granddaughter's size." She observed

I smiled weakly at her. Something tingled inside of me when she said that. I started to look at her more intently. Her green hair swayed in the back of her as she turned around catching my gaze.