11- intricate fish

as they creeped down the eerie corridors, alexandria cursed herself under her breath.

"i should've studied the maps more, we've been walking around in circles and i have no clue where my mothers study is."

"here, turn left." technoblade suggested. with a sigh, alex cooperated and turned left. the princess was shocked when that tunnel led her to another chamber in the basement.

"huh... princess a lot, technoblade one," alexandria smiled as she rounded a corner. technoblade continued to follow her until they were both met with a pair of heavy wooden doors.

alex traced her fingers on the grooves of the door, reminding herself that her mother once touched these handles. with a strong push she opened the door, revealing two desks, some shelves, and a chair. the walls were lined with notes and sketches, ranging from a foreign dish's recipe to a sketch of the ender dragon.

as the princess hesitantly walked in, technoblade stayed in the door frame. he didn't want to interfere with the princesses discovery of the last thing she has from her mother.

alexandria continued to search around the study, opening drawers and reading papers scattered on the desks. she looked so happy yet so sad.

however it didn't take long for the princess to find a sealed envelope with her name on it.

dearest alexandria,

if you're reading this, you know my years of combat have finally caught up to me, and you know about the war occurring right now. i figure you're more prepared for it than what meets the eye.

go to the library. find the book intricate fish, and go to page 173. it is of the utmost importance that you do this right away.

however, once this war is over, please feel free to explore this study and use it as your own.

i have faith in you my dear, i can't wait to see you again one day.

Mom

"i- i don't understand," alex muttered as a tear rolled down her face. "intricate fish!?" she shouted at no one in particular.

she turned around to face the man in the doorway, "cmon."

"where we goin?" he asked as he walked out with the princess.

she turned and shut the oak doors, "the library. time to read intricate fish."

as the two walked through the silent castle, technoblade couldn't help but notice how anxious the princess was. he didn't blame her, but it made the walk to the library much more awkward.

when the two arrived, they split up and started looking for the book. the rows of books were creepily quiet, and the lights were noticeably dim. as alexandria skimmed through the books, technoblade walked around. the library he was accustomed to consisted of 3 books.

scouring through the shelves, alexandria found fascinating fish facts, tropical fish, and how to cure pufferfish poison.

"technoblade! i need your help!" the princess whined. after a moment she heard heavy footsteps appear behind her. she turned around to see lord technoblade engulfed in a book. she gave him a look, and read the cover out loud.

"art of war. huh. not a very interesting choice but it suits you."

"oh yeah? i thought it was good..." he muttered as he set the book down. the two held eye contact for a few seconds before the princess broke the silence.

"intricate fish, don't forget." she spun around and continued searching the shelves. it wasn't until an arm extended above her when she stopped her movements.

"ask and you shall receive, your majesty," technoblade bowed and offered the book.

the princess scoffed, "ew. don't do that ever again."

technoblade laughed as alexandria snatched the book from his hands. she flipped to page 173 and a few pages to fell the floor. she bent down to grab them only to be met with another hand grabbing the papers. the two blushed but stood up once again.

alexandria cleared her throat, and began to read the papers out loud.

"battle plan 42. in the west gardens, a lever is hidden, within an area that's strictly forbidden. once it's pulled you'll begin to see, what explosives can do to an enemy. what the hell. it's a riddle?!"

"explosives eh?" technoblade murmured, "what's the other one?"

"in the throne it's hard to see, a box that holds a special key. once met with its match turn to the right, and beware of plans for a scary sight."

"a scary sight," technoblade repeated, "what could that even mean?"

"i don't know. but what i do know is that the throne is super hard to access, let alone during a war. let's just head to west gardens, i have an idea of what these explosives could be," alexandria said before grabbing technoblades hand and leading him out of the library. it was days like this that technoblade was so thankful to have a mask to hide the blush spreading across his cheeks.

once the two entered the outside world, they were careful to monitor their surroundings. one wrong move and they could be dead.

creeping around the castle, they finally approached the west gardens.

"okay, what could be forbidden in this garden. it's literally just vegetables and some flowers." lord technoblade thought out loud.

"don't underestimate it, i did a lot of time out here. i know where i couldn't poke around," alex laughed. she remembered a time in her youth when she flung brownie batter at elyse, who was quick enough to duck allowing the batter to splatter all over the walls. she was sent to the garden immediately, and was confined to a bench. however she wasn't a great listener and decided to play in the vegetables. on her way to the flower beds, she heard a landscaper call out, "don't touch the orchids!! their leaves are poisonous to the touch."

alexandria walked around for a bit before guiding technoblade to the flowerbeds.

"i need you to stick your hand in there and feel around."

"why can't you do it?"

"because the flowers are poisonous."

"wha- why am i doing it?" technoblade protested

"you have gloves, you'll be fine. i think."

with an annoyed grunt, technoblade plunged his hands into the flower bed soil until he felt something that didn't belong. with a smirk, he revealed a lever from underneath the dirt.

"you are awesome. i owe ya one," alexandria smiled. technoblade looked her in the eyes and for once it felt like everything was going to be alright.

"now take your gloves off before you get poison everywhere."

[word count: 1110]

so much for a long chapter lmao

discord: https://discord.gg/h6vFguamDJ
(also on my profile)