Chapter 2

Here's chapter 2! Hope you comment, read, fan, all that good stuff. Enjoy the chapter and I'll be updating soon.

Also, the Man in the Woods, the story Anna is reading, isn't real. Any events I say occur in the book are of my imagination. I'm sure there are books with the same title but it's not the same book. All ideas in the book come from MY head. I made it up. Anyways, enjoy the story!

~ ~ ~

"Anna, at least eat some of the casserole." My dad says, rolling his eyes.

Since my dad called me down for dinner I had just pushed the slimy casserole around with my fork. I was thinking of how weird he had acted in my room earlier. 'They could come true, you know', his words repeating themselves over and over again in my mind.

What normal dad says that? Well, my dad does, ever since my older brother Ricky died in a car crash, my dad had become all superstitious. I never put much thought into it because he usually kept that kind of stuff to himself.

Probably because he didn't have my mom to vent to. They had divorced about 3 years ago. So, as you can see, my life is pretty rough. I'm stuck with my weird dad and there's nothing I can do about it.

"You know Dad, I'm not that hungry. But thanks for making the meal anyway."

I run upstairs before he could respond to me. I just wasn't in the mood to be around him right now.

I flop onto my bed because I'm so stressed thinking about my life difficulties. I'm 16, I should be thinking about school or boys or something, but no, I think about my difficult life. Maybe calling Jesse would make me feel better.

In case you're wondering, no, Jesse is not my boyfriend. He's just my best friend who I've known since we were 11. He's been there for me through good and bad, when my parents divorced, when my brother died. He's become like the other brother I need to be able to count on.

I grab my phone and dial Jesse's number.

*ring ring ring*

"Hello?" Jesse's voice rings through the phone.

"Hey Jess, can we talk?" I say, biting my lip.

"Um, sure." He says hesitantly.

"Well, my dad acted really weird today. I was reading this book and he freaked. He said to not read scary stuff and that it could actually happen. I'm worried about him." I manage to say all in one breath.

"Whoa, whoa. Slow down Anna. Relax this sounds like a pretty weird situation, but maybe you should just shrug it off. Maybe he was just in a weird funk or something?"

I laugh at his last comment. "See Jesse? This is why you're my best friend, you can make me laugh whenever, wherever."

"Well then, it's my pleasure to be your best friend ma'am."

"Yeah,but still... I don't know, I don't like being around him, with him acting up like that. Are you busy Jesse?"

"Um, no. Why?"

"Could you meet me at the woods close to my house? I feel like I need to be around someone other than my dad." I roll my eyes at how obvious my statement was.

"Sure, see you in a bit."

"Ok, bye." I set my phone down, thinking of how I'd sneak out of the house.

Maybe I could sneak out the window, risky though, my house is a two-story. I could sneak out the front door. No, way, that was even riskier, my dad would see me.

Wait, I forgot he went to work at 7! It was 7:20! Thank god he had night shifts at the office.

I put on some jeans and my black sweater that said 'Hello' on it with my black Converse. It was going to be chilly outside, considering I lived in the more foresty parts of Washington (the state, Washington, not the one in D.C.)

I jog downstairs and grab my house keys. Although I'm home alone, I close the front door quietly.

- - -

Thankfully, the woods are just a 20 minute walk away from my house. When I get to the beginning of the woods, I couldn't help but feeling like I was being watched. I hated this eery feeling, so I started to jog until I was at the spot Jesse and I occasionally met at.

*Crunch*

I stop in my footsteps. Did I just hear that? Or was that just my imagination?

*Crackle*

I feel like I can't move as the sound gets closer, I want to scream and run, but I just feel frozen in place.

~ ~ ~

Ooh cliffhanger! Ha ha, hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll be updating soon, don't worry! ;)