Chapter 8

Keep Anna's summary of 'The Man in the Woods' in mind for this chapter, it makes a lot more sense that way.

Enjoy the chapter!

~ ~ ~

When I get scooped up, I realize the person isn't Jesse. It's a faceless man with a scar where his left eye should be.

"Let me go!" I scream, my voice cracking. "Jesse, help!"

"Anna?!" I hear Jesse yell before something smacks the back of my head and I blackout.

- - -

My head is throbbing as I open my eyes. Then, everything flashes back. Me and Jesse playing hide-and-go seek, me looking for a place to hide, the faceless man knocking me out.

Where the heck was I?

I inspect the area I'm in, an old, medium sized shack. I noticed my hands and legs are tied up, duck tape on my mouth.

I try to scream for help, but it's no use. It comes out as a muffled sound and I sigh in frustration.

Where did that guy go? Where was Jesse? Oh god, Jesse! He was probably worried out of his mind! I had to get out of here, I had to find Jesse.

But how was I supposed to get out of here? I was all tied up! This was seriously frustrating, and my head is still throbbing so bad.

There were only 2 things on my mind: Jesse and the man-creature that had no face and a jagged scar where his left eye should be. That sounded an awful lot like 'The Man in the Woods'.

I let the realization sink in. Dad was right. I read 'The Man in the Woods' and now it came true.

No wonder I had felt like someone was watching me all those days in the woods. The man had been stalking me and now he's captured me. Exactly like the book, he put me in an old shack and tied me up.

He was even faceless, over 6 feet tall, with the exact same scar as in the book.

But how could this happen? It seems too unreal. I was too dumb to take dad's advice, I had thought he was crazy, but he's not.

In the book, he stalks the girl(me) every day and captures her in a shack, which he's already done to me.

But that means, like in the book, he'll try to kill me. Although, in the end, the girl's boyfriend will save her. Meaning Jesse.

Oh no, but in the book the boyfriend gets stabbed. Jesse can't get stabbed. Never, I couldn't bear to ever see him hurt.

I shut my eyes and let the tears stream down my face, feeling scared and hopeless.