Birthday Present

A cliche birthday oneshot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You woke up long before the alarm clock went off. 

You were officially 16. 

Your best friend Hiro Hamada turned 16 months before you so you were excited to be 16. 

Your relatives and friends that you hardly ever saw wished you a happy birthday on social medias, but your best friend never did. Fred and your other friends never did too which was unlikely. 

"______?" You heard your parents knock on the door. 

"Come in." You said.

"Happy Birthday sweetie." Your parents gave you a kiss on the forehead and passed you a few birthday cards that came in the mail. 

"Thanks." You smiled. 

"We have bad news hon. We have to leave for work." Your mom said sadly. You then only noticed that they were in they work clothes. 

"I thought you took the day off?" You asked. 

"We got called up and it's an emergency." Your father informed. 

"Oh, then have a nice day at work." You forced a smile. 

"We're super sorry sweetie. We'll make it up to you when we get back from work." Your mom apologized. 

Yeah right. When they come home they'll say their tired and want to go to bed. You thought bitterly. 

"It's okay." You reassured and they gave you a kiss again and left the room. 

You tried calling your friends but none of them picked up the call. 

So much for the best birthday ever. 

You pulled yourself out of bed and decided to go out for a stroll.

You plugged in your earphones, laced up your sneakers, locked your front door and went out. 

You inhaled the fresh air and started jogging a little. 

You passed the Lucky Cat's Cafe and decided to just drop over and say hi, maybe they'll spend time with you on your birthday.

"Hi Aunt Cass." You opened the cafe's door. Cass was serving coffee to her breakfast customers. 

"Happy Birthday _____!" Cass exclaimed. 

"Thanks. Where's Hiro?" You asked. 

"He went to Fred's house early this morning." Cass replied. "Wanna have breakfast? It's on the house since it's your birthday." 

"Sounds good, thanks, I'm done with my jog." You thanked. 

You back and took a nice long shower. 

None of your friends answered your calls, but you weren't going to spend your birthday in the house.

You headed out to the mall to treat yourself. It's not everyday you go shopping and buy all the things you want.

You treated yourself to (things), you texted your father, just in case.

You remember the last time you spent money without telling him and when the credit card came, he was really mad.

You: Went to the mall and treated myself to some stuff.

A reply came in a few minutes.

Dad: Okay sweetie. Sorry we had to leave for work.