Chapter 12

Ed could see that Al was angry. He was way too silent and still in his actions, almost like he had gone back to the days when his body didn’t show any emotions. Ed couldn’t fault him. He too was disgusted at the way those wizards had handled this whole farce.

“What’s going to happen to Winky?” said Hermione, the moment they had left the clearing.

“I don’t know,” said Mr. Weasley.

“The way they were treating her!” said Hermione furiously. “Mr. Diggory, calling her ‘elf’ all the time… and Mr. Crouch! He knows she didn’t do it, and he’s still going to sack her! He didn’t care how frightened she’d been, or how upset she was - it was like she wasn’t even human!”

“Well, she’s not,” said Ron.

Hermione rounded on him but before she could yell at him Al had already started.

“That does not mean she doesn’t have feelings. What, so she looks different you can treat her anyway you want? Is that it?” he screamed, scaring Ron and even the others. Between the brothers Al seemed the mild one, so to hear him scream was a scary experience.

“Alphonse, Hermione, I agree with you,” said Mr. Weasley quickly, beckoning both of them on, “but now is not the time to discuss elf rights. I want to get back to the tent as fast as we can. What happened to the others?”

“They’re safe in the woods. I think Charlie and Bill went to go get them.” Ed said. “Mr. Weasley, why was everyone so uptight about that green skull?”

“I’ll explain everything back at the tent,” said Mr. Weasley tensely.

After somewhat comforting the crowd of panicked wizards waiting for them outside the woods, Mr. Weasley led them through the crowd and back into the campsite. All was quiet now; there was no sign of the masked wizards, though several ruined tents were still smoking. Charlie’s head was poking out of the boys’ tent.

“Dad, what’s going on?” he called through the dark. “Fred, George, and Ginny got back okay, but the others — ”

“I’ve got them here,” said Mr. Weasley, bending down and entering the tent, everyone following after him.

Bill was sitting at the small kitchen table, holding a bedsheet to his arm, which was bleeding profusely. Charlie had a large rip in his shirt, and Percy was sporting a bloody nose. Fred, George, and Ginny looked unhurt, though shaken.

“Did you get them, Dad?” said Bill sharply. “The person who conjured the Mark?”

“No,” said Mr. Weasley. “We found Barty Crouch’s elf holding Harry’s wand, but we’re none the wiser about who actually conjured the Mark.”

“What?” said Bill, Charlie, and Percy together.

“Harry’s wand?” said Fred.

“Mr. Crouch’s elf?” said Percy, sounding thunderstruck.

With some help from Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Mr. Weasley explained what had happened in the woods. Ed listened to their side, filling in the missing pieces. By the time he and his brother had come to the clearing, they were already blaming the elf for everything. When they had finished their story, Percy swelled indignantly.