Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"Ready?" Georgia asked shoving the last bag into the back of her Prius. She insisted we take her car because of the gas mileage, also so she could be the first to drive. I tried to protest but she wouldn't have it.

Nervous, for the trip and the drive with Georgia, I wanted to tell her to take me back home, that I wasn't ready for this. Not at all, but before I could say anything she walked to the driver's side of the door and got in. I hung back hoping that if I stayed here long enough she'd let me call off the trip. Jack would understand if I suddenly came down with the flu and wasn't allowed to come, right?

I jumped when Georgia honked the horn then rolled the window down. "You better get in this car. I am not missing a day of Calculus for nothing." She yells. I sigh and climb in the car.

"Do we really have to go, I mean it's a little sudden, isn't it." I protested trying to convince myself that I shouldn't go.

"No, it's just a tournament. Now buckle up and shut up about not going because it's too late. We're doing this." She lectures putting the car into drive and started to drive away from my house. "Also I think you have a text from Hockey Boy."

I looked down at my phone which was already plugged in to the car's usb. Flashing on the screen was a text from Jack.

From: Jack -"Just left town, I'll see you soon for the first game ;)"

I smiled subconsciously. It was nice to have a text from someone other than Georgia. When he called my house phone asking for my phone number last night after I had put Addie back to bed I almost didn't give it to him. But now I was glad I had.

To:Jack- "We're headed out now, see you soon."

I responded before setting my phone back down in the cup holder.

*****

The first hour of the roadtrip wasn't even up yet and I felt like I was going to die. Partly because of Georgia's terrible driving skills and partly because of her terrible shrieking skills.

"Take on me! Take me on!" She shrieked. I would've been singing with her if I hadn't had just been startled from my nap.

My seat was leaned back and my feet were propped up on her dashboard. I rubbed my eyes and sat up trying to ignore the sounds of someone dying coming from my left. Once adjusted again I snuck a peek at the clock it was barely hitting ten o'clock. Meaning we still had another 3 hours left of the drive.

Georgia had stop shrieking as the song ended. "You good to drive for another hour or do you wanna switch?" I ask.

She shrugs, her eyes rested on the road. "Yeah, I'm good. You never let me drive you somewhere this long so I think I'll savor the moment." Georgia says smiling.

I roll my eyes and lean back against my seat. Outside the sun was starting to hit its peak making the windows hot. I was surprised the sky had stayed this clear but I could see rain clouds rolling in from the North so the sunny weather wouldn't last for long which was typical.

We rode in silence for a few minutes both of us slightly nodding to the song playing. "I heard the basketball team is going to playoffs." I mentioned trying to kill the silence.

"Yeah, they're pretty good this year. All thanks goes to, um... Nolan." She says. I had forgotten they still weren't speaking being so wrapped up and Jack and the trip.

"Have you and Nolan talked?" I ask.

Georgia straightens up before shaking her head no keeping her gaze glued to the road. "No, I haven't let him."