Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"This place is huge!" Georgia exclaimed gaping at the size of the rink the tournament would be hosted at. I laughed, though it wasn't my first time seeing this place the size still amazed me.

People from the previous game we leaving and some lingered talking to friends and other hockey players. I moved closer to Georgia making sure I didn't lose the group in the crowd. I bumped into various people on accident but only one made me stumble back. The guy was clearly a hockey player and he had his teammates behind him. He looked oddly familiar but I could't place him. "Oops my bad." He said with a wry grin.

I stayed where I was a few feet away from him, my shoulder still being able to feel the bump I'd just received. Glancing away from the guy I saw Georgia, Paisley, and Skyler waiting for me at the door to our seat section.

"It's um okay..." I muttered walking quickly away from the guy not giving him a second glance.

"Who was that guy?" Georgia asked. I shrugged having no clue myself.

I thought about taking another look at the group of guys but thought against it. It didn't matter who those guys were it was just a random bump into. Georgia eyed me suspiciously then shook it off and led me down to where the other girls were.

"Be glad Jack wasn't here because with that look that guy gave you he would've flipped shit." She giggled taking the last step to reach the bottom row.

I couldn't help but blush. "Whatever, let's just hope no one flips shit anytime soon."

*****

It was getting close to their game time and the stands were half empty. The parts that were filled were filled with other hockey teams checking out the competition and the fans of the team we would be playing. There were a few parents I knew from our team, but besides that it was only us and the other team's girlfriends here to support them.

"Look, that's the Mighty Bears." Paisley pointed over to a group of guys sitting a couple of sections away from us. Most were decked out in green Mighty Bear t-shirts and sweats. "They won state last year, but we almost beat them too." She explained. I already knew this, of course, but I let her continue acting as if I didn't, trying to avoid seeming like a hockey creep.

"They look so intimidating and mean." Georgia piped in. "A smile wouldn't hurt, boys." She teased softly at them even though they weren't paying any attention to her.

A tap on my right arm made me jerk my head to the right to where Skyler pointed out another team. "Those are the Forest Hill Wolves." She says. "Insanely hot team, but little hockey skill. We don't have to worry about those guys."

I smiled, it was fun checking out the competition. Seeing purple out of the corner of my eye I looked across the rink and saw a group of boys wearing Harland Hockey T-shirts. They were the group with the guy who had bumped into me. He still looked so familiar and the one sitting next to him was recognizable as well. "What about them?" I asked.

The girls turned their heads to look at the team I pointed out. Paisley was the first to answer. "That's the Harland Raiders. They're a local team back home. Jack used to play with them freshman year before he committed himself to the high school team." I nodded listening. Paisley squinted trying to get a better look at the two guys who I recognized. "Also, I believe that is Carter Mckinley and Brendan Shoals, old friends of Jack."

My eyes widened. Wait... It couldn't be. I remembered the day at Dot's café when we had run into some "old friends" of Jack's. One's name was Carter. It all clicked.

Those were the boys from the café, the ones Jack hated and wanted me to stay away from. The ones who bumped into me earlier and gave me a creepy look. I shuddered.