Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I made it back to my seat right as the boys started skating onto the ice for the game. Jack looked up to me and forced out a smile. I smiled back trying to reassure him. It seemed to work because he looked back to his teammates with a determined look on his face.

He was the one the team looked up to and he couldn't falter in this game. He had to maintain his rep, so he did. Though I still caught the tremor in his hands as he held onto his stick.

After a few minutes of both teams skating around, each went to their separate bull pins to hear from their coaches before the puck drop.

"Welcome to the Seattle Eagles Tournament! Here to start us off with the first game of the day is the Colby Hill Jaguars vs The Mighty Bears!" A loud voice boomed through the rink. The crowd roared as our boys and the Mighty Bears skated to the center of the ice for the puck drop. The crowd continued to cheer, yet I fell silent watching Jack.

He was focused, his tremor was gone, replaced with a hardness that'll let him win the game. The girls and I shushed as the puck was dropped. It fell slowly, but when it hit the ice the game was on.

The Mighty Bears center had gotten the puck and made a smooth pass to his left wing. Not stopping for a second, the guy tore down the ice and Nick had trouble keeping up with him. I watched as the Mighty bears guy darted between our players and then took a shot for the goal. There was no way they were going to score this early in the game, I told myself. And when, luckily, the puck bounced off of Alex, our goalie's chest and into the hands of Kane I let out the breath I had been holding.

The boys recovered quickly from the quick start of the game and began to follow through with the next play. Kane took the angle he was at and shot the puck against the wall to make it to Kylar who was in shooting position, but as soon as the puck was in his control he was plowed into by number 13 on the Mighty Bears. Kylar landed on the ice hard, but with a quick shake of his head he popped back up and went into the bullpin letting another fill his place.

Jack, still in, was busy stick fighting with the Bear's center for the puck. Each kept shoulder checking each other until the other would let the puck free. Luckily Talon had come up behind the two giving Jack the distraction he needed to gain the puck and bring it towards the goal. He didn't make it far before he lost control over the puck letting another one of the opposing team's players steal it from his grasp.

Jack tapped his hockey stick on the ice in frustration before he quickly exited the ice as Kylar did before.

The game went on like this for the whole first period. We had only taken 5 shots, never getting the chance to line up to shoot. The Mighty Bears had taken 10 non of which went in thanks to Alex. The buzzer sounded ending the first period and the boys skated off the ice each panting for breath.

Jack looked up to me. His face glistened with sweat and his cheeks were blotchy. He looked tired, almost ready to give up. I tried to mentally send him some of my strength but all I could do was smile at him and give him a thumbs up. He returned it but I could see the effort that it took.

It wasn't long until he was ushered off the ice and the Zamboni was taken out to smooth the ice over.

Needing to stretch I stood up and started to walk up the stairs and towards the concession. "Rosie, will you grab some popcorn for me while you're up." Georgia asked stopping my ascent. She was holding out a five dollar bill for me to take.

"Of course, m'lady. Is there anything else you request, your highness?" I teased in a mock british accent. Georgia laughed along with Paisley and Jess.

"Popcorn will be it, but if you must, get me a drink, I feel rather parched." She joked back.

"Very well." I say grabbing the bill from her hand and then made my way toward the concession. The line was filled with people wearing green. If I didn't know any better. I would think today was St. Patrick's Day with the amount of green before my eyes.