Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Mom had gotten home late last night. I had debated on not waiting up for her and Addie to return but in the end I decided to go ahead and crash for the night. It wasn't like she kept me updated on her adventures with Addie this weekend. She texted once after I spoke to her on Saturday. She said that they wouldn't be getting back until Sunday evening and that I shouldn't wait up for them.

I wanted to wait up to make sure they got home alright, but if Mom didn't want me waiting up, I wouldn't. It's not like she'd care if I did or not. So I went to bed and around two in the morning I woke up to hear them coming through the door.

I had heard Addie complain about how she was tired and she didn't want to go to school in the morning. Mom shushed her and sent her off to sleep. Telling her they'd discuss it more in the morning. When Mom had stopped by my room to check on me. I pretended to be asleep hoping she would just leave it like that, but she spoke out. "Honey, we're home..." She called out to me from my bedroom door.

Ignoring her I kept my eyes shut and my breathing steady. I didn't want to deal with her right now. We could "discuss it more in the morning." I thought sarcastically.

Eventually she left, heading to bed herself. I willed myself not to think about anything. I had tried to fall back asleep using thoughts of Jack and I to soothe me. When I did manage to fall asleep around four, I slept restlessly and it wasn't long until my alarm went off.

I hit snooze and rubbed my tired eyes. It was still dark outside. The sun barely peeking over the neighboring houses. I sighed not wanting to get up and face the day.

Besides dealing with my mom, I haven't even finished my math homework or the readings for English. Georgia had stolen all the time for homework by continuing to talk about the hockey team and Jack with me until she went home around eleven last night. I had no problem with putting off my schoolwork then but now I regretted it.

My alarm went off again, reminding me that I'd have to get up whether I wanted to or not. I groaned then rolled off my bed and trudged to the bathroom.

*****

"Good morning, sweetheart!" Mom chirped brightly as I made my way into the kitchen.

I was confused. She was never up this early and when she was it was because she had to shower. But this morning she was already dressed, drinking coffee, and had set out cereal for Addie and I.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her change of behavior, and made my way over to the fruit basket. "Are you feeling alright?" I questioned my Mom as I plucked a banana from the bunch. Mom chuckled moving over to me and ruffled my hair. I grimaced. She caught on to my discomfort and flitted over to the sink where she began washing her mug out.

"I feel fine, darling. Actually I feel rejuvenated after the fun weekend Addie and I had." She says. "You should've seen the look on her face when we arrived at the Princess Castle, as Addie likes to call it."

My heart clenched. It surprised me how much it hurt to see and hear about the things they did this weekend without me. To see mom acting the way she used to be, with only Addie. I fought back the hurt that had begun to spread through me. It wasn't like I cared anyway. I had some fun of my own this weekend.

Shaking the feelings off, I gripped the banana in my hand. "I should get going before I'm late."

Mom didn't say anything as I walked by her. I wouldn't doubt she knows how I feel about the whole situation. She's known me long enough to see when I'm hiding, but I continued on to the front door.

I stopped in front of the door, waiting for Addie to say goodbye like she usually did in the mornings when I left. But no goodbye came because Mom was going to let her stay home and sleep off their exciting weekend.