Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Rosie! Duck behind that block to your left, Tanner and Chandler are targeting you." Jack instructed me. He was only a couple of feet away from me darting in and out of his hiding spot to shoot as the opposing team. He hadn't left my side and if he had I would've been dead in seconds.

I spotted Kane darting past me and promptly lifted my laser gun to shoot. As expected I missed and he was past me unscathed. I cursed, why was I so bad at this?

Regretting ever joining in on this laser tag fight I lent back against the box covering me and closed my eyes for only a second. This game was impossible, yet everyone around me seemed to playing it easily. Even Georgia seemed to be skilled in this area of laser tag skills. I sighed, wanting to leave.

"Rosie! Look out!" Jack yelled back at me and my eyes darted open to see myself cornered by Kylar and Cole.

Cole smirked, satisfied with where he had me. This may have been a game, but these guys took it seriously. "Looks like we've got the Ice Princess right where we want her." He said, winking.

I had my laser gun pointed to the target on their vests, but when I tried to shoot nothing happened. I was out of charge and would need to return to the base. "Damn.." I mumbled looking back to my attackers. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jack sneaking around, trying not to attract their attention.

"Are you going to shoot me, or are you too scared?" I teased, cracking a smile.

Kylar chuckled, but Cole stayed unaffected. "You're a funny one. I guess game's over-" Jack chose that moment to attack. He had Kylar's vest dead in a minute flat, then he turned to Cole.

"Still trying to win the hearts of girls I see." Jack smirked, teasing Cole. It was as if I disappeared. The two seemed to be transported back into time, back to their childhood. Just two best friends battling it out for fun.

I watched as both had a stare down then both fired at the same time, killing the life in each other's vest. It was after each was dead that the boys erupted into laughter and slapped each other on the back. I was smiling at the sight of Jack acting like this. It was such a rare sight.

My thought process was interrupted by the sudden blindness of the laser-tag arena's lights coming on signaling the end of the game.

"Thank god." I said relieved. Jack and Cole looked back to me remembering I was there. They both gave me a curious look. I shrugged. "What, I was crap at that game." I stated walking past them eager to get this sweaty vest off.

*****

"Mom?" I called out when I had gotten home from Sporty Universe. After the game of laser tag the hockey boys had to leave soon after, due to hockey practice.

It didn't surprise me that they did have practice on a Saturday. They had a tournament coming up that they would need to be ready for. Maybe team bonding at a events place is important but practice took first on the importance scale to them. So I understood why they had to cut the fun short.

Although, I understood this, Georgia did not. She complained about their sudden departure throughout the whole drive back to my house.

"I was having fun. They shouldn't have had to run off to practice so soon. I mean who needs practice anyway?" She had whined. I couldn't help but try not to laugh at her desperateness. I had tried to explain it to her, but she wouldn't listen. She only insisted, that "they should've stayed and now we are left to wallow for the rest of the day by watching movies." Her words, not mine.

Coming back to the present, I searched the house for my mom and Addie. They had to be here, it was only half past five in the afternoon. I also knew that Mom didn't have a shift until early tomorrow morning. "Mom? Addie?" I called out again, expecting some kind of response.

I could hear Georgia downstairs raiding our kitchen for popcorn and if I didn't check on her soon she'd find a way to burn down the house.

"Well, seems like Mom and Addie have gone missing..." I explained walking into the kitchen to meet the back of Georgia's head. She was reaching into one of our cabinet's trying to find the right size bowl for the popcorn.

She smiled widely when she finally found one she liked and pulled it down to set it on the counter. "Have you tried texting your Mom? Maybe she's decided to run off with Phil, after all." Georgia teased. She was convinced Phil, from the hockey rink, had a major crush on my mom and would eventually find a way to get her to run away with him into the sunset.

"Not funny," I scolded. "She doesn't even have time to relax at home, so she certainly doesn't have time to go off galavanting with Phil." I reasoned.

"Okay, okay... but you should try her cell to make sure."

The microwave dinged with Georgia's freshly made popcorn. She pulled it out quickly, cursing when it burned her fingers, and painfully tried to pour it in to her bowl. I watched as she popped a piece into her mouth after filling up the bowl.

I chuckled at the sight and dialed my mom's number into my phone. It rung a couple of times before she answer.

"Ro?" She asked, loud noise filling the background.

"Mom? Where are you?"

"Oh, I meant to leave a note. I took Addie out for a girl's day out. We are currently at-Addie be careful!- Chuck-E-Cheese and it is crowded. I need to go and keep an eye on Addie. But, we'll probably end up driving down to Kelville to spend the night in one of those princess suites Addie's been dying to see." Mom explained hurriedly.

She planned this and hadn't invited me along? Closing my eyes I tried to suppress my disappointment. "Oh okay..." I mumbled.

"Will you be okay at the house by yourself tonight. I hate to be this spontaneous on you, but I thought I'd treat Addie out."

"I'll be fine, you two have fun."

"Alright, stay safe, no boys, and I'll see you tomorrow."

"I will, bye Mom. Love y-"

"Addie, what did I tell you!" Mom yelled before the line went dead.

"You..." I finished to myself. My throat was tight and I tried to not think about it. This means I'll have the house to myself for the whole night. What teenager wouldn't want that, right?

Georgia cleared her throat. I had forgotten she was there. She had a whole hand of popcorn held up to her face, but she stopped.

"Movie time?" She asked her mouth still somehow full of popcorn, even though her hand was filled with new pieces. I smiled shaking off thoughts of my mom. Georgia was here and we had popcorn, I'd be fine.

"Definitely Movie Time."